Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting water on the floor on the front driver side footwell during heavy rain. It is not spray from the wheel or from driving through a deep puddle because it happened overnight while the car sat.

Yes, I searched and all I could come up with were 2 threads where people drilled holes in the firewall. My car has no added holes anywhere.

I'm guessing the water is getting in either past the windshield on the A-pillar or via the HVAC vents. The rug is wet on the drivers floor and on the side just below the driver kick panel.

Anyone ever experience this? I'll be taking it to the dealer Monday for warranty repair. We'll see what happens.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
have u ever pulled out the gromet in ur wheel well? yea i read ur first post, but wanted to make sure some how water wasnt coming through that even though it is kinda hidden up in the wheel well.

the only other thing i can think of is weather stripping on the window or windshield.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had that same problem. Then one day i was taking my car through an auto car wash. While it was pulling me through i was tidying up the inside when i noticed water leaking out of my kick panel speaker on the door. The water was coming in between the window and door and seeping out of my speaker area =( Covered under waranty.

·
Always Here To Help
3,920 Posts
Probably have a small crack in the weather stripping on the bottom where the door butts up against the inside of the frame. We have that 1/4 inch slit between the door and the lower sideskirt, possibly leaking in through there, or possibly leaking through the windshield as brain said.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
UPDATE (sorry for the novel):

Tuesday, October 30th = Took the car to the dealership where they sprayed it with water all day and found nothing. They didn't touch the interior to look for the leak. They tried to get $90+ from me for a "diagnosis" charge. I told them to that's BS because they didn't do anything. They gave me the car back with no charge. That night it rained and the carpet got wet again (ARRRRGH!!)

Wednesday, October 31st = Dried the carpet via a wet/dry shop vac and running the heat. The dealership called with the standard "service follow-up" call in the afternoon where I told them I was not happy. The service department called back asking when I could bring the car back in. They felt the A/C drain hose may have fallen off or that there were leaves and debris in the cowl vent area. I told them I highly doubt it was A/C because it drained normally under the car and if it was the A/C it would be wet on the passenger side not the driver side. I also told them the cowl was clean because I keep the car clean and don't park under trees. However, I would bring it in Thursday.

Thursday, November 1st = Back to the dealership where they removed the wipers, cowl vent, driver side kick panel, rocker panel and pulled up the corner of the carpet in the drivers foot area. They found nothing. Cowl had no leaves or debris (no duh) and the A/C was draining properly (told you so). They said they would have to call in a "water leak expert".

Friday, November 2nd = Dealership called to say water expert can't come in until Tuesday, November 6th and that they now had a loaner for me.

Tuesday, November 6th = Water leak "expert" sprayed it with water all day and found nothing (duh, that's what the dealership did 7days ago). The expert asked the dealership to remove more of the interior. Dealership says they will call me tomorrow.

Wednesday, November 7th = Dealership doesn't call so I call them to get an update. They are going to remove more of the interior and call the expert back hopefully by Thursday.

Today, November 8th = Dealership just called to say the rear drivers side quarter window is the source of the leak. Water is getting in past the window seal, going down the door latch pillar, down the rocker panel and into the drivers foot well. They are going to remove and reseal the window and replace the drivers seatbelt pre-tensioner. They didn't say why the pre-tensioner needs to be replaced; I'm assuming water damage (rust?). Good thing I didn't get into an accident. Should be ready for me Friday or Monday.

So, 10 days later they finally found the problem and assured me it was covered under warranty. I was seriously considering trading it in for a new car (used Tucson). I still may but for now, I'm keeping it.

So, if you have an unexpected leak, it may be the rear quarter windows. Hope this info helps somebody.

While I'm annoyed it took so long, so far I'm happy with the dealership (Conicelli). I’ll give final judgment when I pick the car up and make sure no other damage has happened to it over the 10 days they've had it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts