Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I'm pretty new to this forum. I am having an extremely weird issue with this car and have searched everywhere but not been able to find anything like it.

[Backstory] I purchased a 2006 Tiburon 5sp manual 2.7L v6 with around 100k miles on it about 5 months ago. Before I go any further I should mention I am not at all experienced in car repair. Originally it didn't seem to have any issues, except for a brief moment the check engine light came on and showed a code indicating one of the O2 sensors was bad. However the light went away fairly quickly and never came back so I didn't think much of it.

[Issue] Now for the past couple months I have been having some strange issues. When driving the car will sometimes start jerking (at lower speeds quite badly at higher speeds it is less noticeable). The jerking will only happen when the accelerator is initially pressed. If I am coasting down the road and press on the accelerator the car will start jerking for a few seconds and then run fine for as long as my foot is kept on the pedal. If I take my foot off, the next time I reapply the gas the car will jerk for a few seconds again. These periods of jerkiness will come and go, generally lasting for about a few minutes. When it is going through one of these fits if I take the car out of gear the tach goes crazy, the car will rev itself up and down without me touching any of the pedals. Generally it doesn't get past 4000 but will randomly rev itself down to about 1000, up to 3000 and anywhere else between 1-4000. This will happen regardless of the speed I am going. If I turn the car off at this point it is hard to get it back on. Normally I have to wait a few minutes and then burn the hell out of the ignition (maybe 7-10 seconds) before the car turns back on. While it is hard to turn back on, if the car is turned off and on during one of these periods the issue always leaves for at least 30 minutes after the car is restarted. Recently the check engine light also came on again for a short period and the computer showed the code P0118: Type - Powertrain, fuel and air metering. Description: Engine coolant temperature Sensor 1 circuit high. However my temperature gauge has never even crossed the halfway mark. I'm super confused what the problem could be here. So far I have replaced the Idle air control valve but this did not resolve the issue. Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
266 Posts
Look into the crankshaft position sensor. They are in a horrible spot on the tiburons. Right behind the front exhaust manifold. They get hot, melt, crack and break. They will cause stalling, idle issues and starting issues as it will limit fuel to the car. That would be my first choice. Its decently easy to change and there is a DIY on the here under the search tab. ONLY BUY OEM hyundai crank position sensors. Off brand and cheap ones will usually not work and a waste of money, I cannot stress that enough.

·
Administrator
9,017 Posts
Look into the crankshaft position sensor. They are in a horrible spot on the tiburons. Right behind the front exhaust manifold. They get hot, melt, crack and break. They will cause stalling, idle issues and starting issues as it will limit fuel to the car. That would be my first choice. Its decently easy to change and there is a DIY on the here under the search tab. ONLY BUY OEM hyundai crank position sensors. Off brand and cheap ones will usually not work and a waste of money, I cannot stress that enough.
Good suggestions.
Additionally, the temp issue. Most Tibs have a ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor that does 2 things.
Run the dash gauge
Give coolant temp to the ECU for fueling

If this sensor is failing, it messes with fueling but the gauge can be OK.
IAC (idle control valve) has a bearing on "off gas pedal" running. It can be usually cleaned to help out. Cleaning the MAF can also help.
Both are covered in DIY's on this site.

Since it's a "new to you car" when was last tuneup and timing belt?
Old plugs and/or wires can create issue, especially when wet/damp out.
Old timing belt can get expensive when it breaks.

Reactions: aveenav

·
Registered
540 Posts
As Charlie pointed out, your weird idle spike issue is more than likely due to a bad coolant temp sensor. If you have scan tools, you could test it out but for the price of it, I would just go ahead and replace it. Buy OEM from Amazon: Genuine Hyundai 39220-38030 Water Temperature Sensor Assembly $11.89

I'll also suggest replacing thermostat and radiator hoses soon. As suggested by The-Steak, also look at the crank sensor wires (they tend to melt with 100k+ miles) and see if it needs replacing so that you can order both together. But only replace one part at a time to see which one fixed it.

ScannerDanner has a great video on diagnosing a coolant temp on similar engine 2.7L: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxaohKkQF3o

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
1) If a tune up was or wasn't done recently it could be a vacuum leak as well as a failing MAF sensor.

2) Do you have any sort of maint history on the car? If not pull one of the front spark plugs and check out the condition

3) In addition to crank sensor and coolant sensor check out the coil pack for any cracks where the plug wire connects to. Also check the little connectors underneath the coil pack

4) I can't believe nobody mentioned this! If your unsure if the timing belt has been done, GET IT DONE NOW! Otherwise you could be having to replace your engine rather than troubleshoot it. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts