Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm sure you all have seen miura's work on the rocket bunny FRS, rx7, 240sx, 180sx, etc.
I'm a big fan of the style, and looking at the lines... I think that same style can be applied to tiburons (if some bodykit manufacturer were to get back into tiburon products). anyways, I've got a photoshop of what I think it would look like, and with few funds of my own, I know I won't be getting anywhere alone. I would, however like to see what people think of the design, and if there's any motivation to group up and start developing a kit as a team. I don't have terribly good solidworks/cad skills but I'm sure that a kit like this can at least be rendered in 3D fairly easily. (and if so, what's to stop a group of people from pooling resources to have molds made? maybe inject much needed new life into our platform?)

it's a rough idea and needs lots of adjustments, but I think there's gotta be a style refresh for tibs to keep up with the times, or people will tend direct their aftermarket product focus to other platforms instead. I will sketch some concept art soon as well.

Edit: first drawing done

·
Super Moderator
4,535 Posts
Hey man, if you're serious about this I can design this in CAD and even print it out (I have access to three printers including mine). No word of a lie I printed out fender flares this week since I will be redoing mine. Doing this type of CAD model though takes time. On a side note, I have graduated to using Catia now instead of Solidworks. Much, much better for working these surfaces applications.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be awesome. I'll get together some more views of the fenders so that you have something to go off of...

i'll probably be revising it a bunch to flow better with NIA parts (thinking maybe have it able to compliment NIA's splitter set and eyelids, flow-wise.)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
To answer your question in the op yes I would do it. I have too much on my plate or I'd make an attempt. The hardest part I believe is going to be able to figure out a design that flows smooth with the gill area. Plus depending on the design you might have to make two versions because the different design in the fl2 model compared to the older models. I like the sketch looks awesome.

I like the liberty walk rear fenders just a little better just my opinion rocket bunny looks more aggressive and liberty walk looks slightly more stream line.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sure, i'll go ahead and draw out the FL as well as FL2 together.
give me a weekend to draw em.

screw it i drew some again. yes they are a bit deformed as my drawing in recent times has been focused on cute manga characters. pardon the style bias.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how should we go about this... cover my tiburon with blue painter's tape, buy pounds and pounds of pottery clay and go to town sculpting it by hand or 3d printing molds and junk? as long as 1 part can be made, i am sure that it can't be that difficult to slather it with mold release to remold it...

This is something i'll be making as a long term goal to complete. hopefully i can get a job where i can just take a bus to work so i can leave the car sitting while i work on this endeavor.

for now, i'd like to team up with any interested party to get two concepts designed and finalized. both CG and concept art. if you want to team up to give input and stuff, PM please. (hopefully physical fabrication can start sometime midsummer)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh how i would love to look out and see my tib as a wide body, i would and will support this as best as i can. Although we are quite a trip away from each other...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it'd be great if there was an FL1 tib in my area that would work with me to get the kit made for both FL1 and FL2, since i don't have the money to buy another tibby lol.
i might get a old and ratty econobox to haul stuff around for the project though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You know you could always test all this out on the tibs, and then include other cars for a wider market, and keep your prices lower in the beginning, enough to run the production and a little extra cash, allowing yourself to make a decent name. Mean while you could be making drawings and designs for other cars, even higher end cars, to reveal once you have a solid base of customers. Just an idea...

But if you end up making a pretty sweet kit for the FL2 id definitely be interested in buying a kit for mine. And like i said ill try and help out as much as i can. Dont have too much knowledge about this type of stuff, yet that is, and i have some other projects floating in my head, such as trying to teach myself how to code and what not. Highly interested in this all though...glad someone wants to actually try and do something like this.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gettign ahead of ourselves here.
let's keep it to the short term vision for now.
I'm sure the kit for FL2 and for FL1 will be largely the same. gotta figure out some way to make the same fenders fit both without looking out of place... it's just the rear bumper to taillight intersection and gill style that i gotta work around.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Took an innovation engineering class that was based around entrepreneurship last semester, sorry about that lol.

And true, you could always do a sort of two or three piece type of fender, im not sure if that would cost more or less in the long run, but that would allow you to make one universal front and rear front section of a fender, and then different rear sections for each version.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
since the fender flares are going to overlap the front bumper/front fender junction, the part that attaches to the front bumper and blends it to the fender-mounted section will be different for FL1 and FL2 unless it just happens to match up right perchance.
anyways here's the more refined re-draw. Also came up with two logos.

edit:
did some quick changes in the design to try to make it fit both FL1 and FL2
Cutouts for FL1 and FL2 are virtually the same

and the fenders now have slight overhangs near the back edges for a little bit of aero and more fitting looking flares (overlaid wireframes over cutout lines. black lines are visible edges, grey lines are edges hidden by panel curvature)

the only difference right now that i can think of is the front piece of the front fender flare having a slightly different mating curve with the front bumper of the FL1 than the FL2 the rest seems to be okay as identical.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hey man, if you're serious about this I can design this in CAD and even print it out (I have access to three printers including mine). No word of a lie I printed out fender flares this week since I will be redoing mine. Doing this type of CAD model though takes time. On a side note, I have graduated to using Catia now instead of Solidworks. Much, much better for working these surfaces applications.

If this potentially happens I offer up my car for prototyping!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think first prototype will be with my car, and then i'll make sure to mold 2 sets of rear fenders and two different sets of fronts for FL and FL2 (FL2 first since that's the car i have) i compiled a list of all the things i'd ahve to buy to get the first prototyping done and it actually seems within reason financially.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i think first prototype will be with my car, and then i'll make sure to mold 2 sets of rear fenders and two different sets of fronts for FL and FL2 (FL2 first since that's the car i have) i compiled a list of all the things i'd ahve to buy to get the first prototyping done and it actually seems within reason financially.
What kind of price are you looking at for initial start up and the first couple molds?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts