Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What kind of price are you looking at for initial start up and the first couple molds?
somewhere in the range of 700-800 not including the amount of time i'll have to spend getting both sides exactly symmetrical and misc costs like the foam i'll be using to build mold plug volume, body filler to smooth the mold plug, riveting tools, rivets, and paint.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hmm any idea what kind of price you'd charge us for a set?
Something also tells me from your drawing it wont take you long to get these things looking right when you start making them, seem to have an artistic and keen eye

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
it'll depend on how much time it takes to produce one, and how much each subsequent set costs to make after tooling... my best guess is in the 450 to 600 range for fiberglass. with UV resistant gelcoat, about 5 times as much if i were to use genuine carbon fiber. about 4 times as much using carbon fiber with black fiberglass.

If i can invest in making multiple molds, i could potentially cut time requirement by 30% resulting in a 15-20% decrease in cost with materials and time factored in.

BY THE WAY: what do you guys think about fenders like these ones i designed when i was... 14.

and made into a 1:28th model as i obviously will never be able to play with bodywork on a real GTR.

think the flow would work for a tib?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would say most people would be fine with fiberglass, and you might have a few people request carbon fiber(you could still use the same mold right?). I personally would want fiberglass so i could color match it. But that is not a bad price at all, like i would be all for that.

Depending on how serious you are about this, and when the times come, and beings i cant really do anything to help from here. annnd given funding is adequate for me, i wouldnt be opposed to helping you invest a bit on the startup, in turn being one of the first to get a set :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I would say most people would be fine with fiberglass, and you might have a few people request carbon fiber(you could still use the same mold right?). I personally would want fiberglass so i could color match it. But that is not a bad price at all, like i would be all for that.

Depending on how serious you are about this, and when the times come, and beings i cant really do anything to help from here. annnd given funding is adequate for me, i wouldnt be opposed to helping you invest a bit on the startup, in turn being one of the first to get a set :)
the the idea is to get this kind of thing launched in a group effort. even if i start dev and prototyping on my own, the overall marketing, product distribution, and manufacturing scaling to give our community something new, something fresh, is going to have to be a group endeavor. and of course investment would justify an early acquirement of the physical product as well as some responsibility to the overall product success.

·
Registered
200 Posts
the the idea is to get this kind of thing launched in a group effort. even if i start dev and prototyping on my own, the overall marketing, product distribution, and manufacturing scaling to give our community something new, something fresh, is going to have to be a group endeavor. and of course investment would justify an early acquirement of the physical product as well as some responsibility to the overall product success.
well you can sign me up to be part of the first group buy then

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
it might just be my inner hipster showing through that drives me to want something that's not on the market until i make it on the market lol. to say i was rocking some brand before it was cool. haha

·
Registered
200 Posts
it might just be my inner hipster showing through that drives me to want something that's not on the market until i make it on the market lol. to say i was rocking some brand before it was cool. haha
ive just always wanted to see my tib as a wide body since the day i bought it, i was also planning on getting some 18x10s +12 over the summer>:D so with a little fitment and possibly some "light" modification to the fender well, i think this would just look insanely bad*ss

·
Registered
200 Posts
@RetfirDMX so yeah....just realized where youre located and youre not nearly as far as i thought you were away from me lol, shipping if going to be a ton less than what i was thinking, oh wow im even more excited...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@RetfirDMX so yeah....just realized where youre located and youre not nearly as far as i thought you were away from me lol, shipping if going to be a ton less than what i was thinking, oh wow im even more excited...
just so you know, product development is a slow proccess. and results are never guaranteed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
just so you know, product development is a slow proccess. and results are never guaranteed.
Oh i know, im definitely not expecting this tomorrow, or next week, however the week after i expect to see something :wink2: kidding

But i have no plans to get rid of the tib as i am in college and have a good ways to go, and by the time i have the cash for a new car, the only value the tib will have is third part, so i decide when i bought it that i would be keeping it for a very very very long time and making something crazy out of it, and this is just one of those crazy things i had in mind. So i am good with waiting a good while, just hope that yourself which i believe you will, and everyone else are willing to be patient and follow this through. Even if you do follow through and no one bites at that time, i would still get a set without hesitation, this is great and beautiful idea in my opinion and i have no problem seeing it through to the end:grin2:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

some more inspiration to marinate in my brain's idea-factory

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was actually trying to save up to buy a gen coupe at the end of this summer, but circumstances no longer allow it to be a possibility, that car looks so sexy, especially with those fenders, i really think making something like this for the tib will give it a definite surge and possibly get people re interested in it, and stop thinking that there is nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
an aesthetic problem i'm running into a lot is the junction of the front bumper and front fender, and which character line to end the flare on, and at what angle. same foes for the rear. it's an odd kinked panel line that doesn't lend itself well to the style of fender... maybe a change of style is in order. I'm also halfway questioing some of the aerodynamic properties of the design itself, as i do want this to actually provide an aerodynamic benefit and not be a completely aesthetic add-on. the air vortexes produced by the half fender design seem to create areas of turbulence underneath the fender dips and i'm unsure if this negatively impacts downforce... I know that in front, there's the reason of extracting air from behind the front wheel, though i'm not 100% on why this is an area of importance. R&D time!

So i searched for aerodynamic reasons for having the rear of the tire exposed, and for the most part it's for heat extraction by using air passing around the car to pull hot air from the brakes/engine bay out from the interior perimeter of the car. However, there is no aerodynamic or functional justification for leaving the front of the tire exposed to airflow, so with that in mind, i'm going to redesign the concept to more completely cover the front of the tires, as that seems to be a critical point to cover to keep drag down.

snooping around the miata people also helped me find the tidbits of insight.

this is a race prepped miata. the rear sides of the tires are left open, which signals to me that covering the rear of the tires doesn't seem to be as high of a priority as heat extraction. ON WITH THE DESIGN! (i'll post at the end of the week the concepts i come up with while i let this simmer in my idea-factory.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The heat dissipation makes sense, but how many of us are hardcore racing and need that kind of heat dissipation, however is might benefit some. Keeping that in mind and a feeling that you might have to make a separate piece for both cars to cover the rear tire, it could be an option for those people.

I am glad to see that youre this dedicated to this idea, and researching it and what not. I do believe that youll be able to develop a very good product. I have a few major tests this next week, so after that i will do my best to try and research some ideas as well so i can actually give you real ideas.
I dont know how much youve looked into them, but those diffusers add quite a bit of aerodynamics, we just have to figure out placement for them, maybe even incorporate a front lip to help with that...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm just wanting this to provide pluses (or no minuses) for aero while looking good and being a unique look for a tiburon. I know most of our demographic streets or shows rather than races, but i want this to appeal to racing-minded tib owners as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Without a doubt, , and who knows, with this kit more people may be inclined to try and race their tibs. Regardless i get where youre coming from with no minuses, that's always a good thing. Like i said after next week ill do my best to start researching and i actually enjoy drawing very much so i might try my hand at drawing up some ideas and sending them your way.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Revision 2:

along with that i've looked into the investment i'd have to make to properly vacuum bag two fiberglass prototype sets (one FL2 and one FL1) and it'll run about 2000 for the tooling of each mold and the production of one prototype of each type. it's a lot higher than the initial estimate, but still seems to be within my reach. of course the sculpting of the mold plugs will garner additional cost, but is not likely to be as significant as the investment in resin and fiberglass (along with neccesary tools to properly fabricate the molds and parts.)

This does however delay this project a bit more, and It might not be until late in summer when I can physically buy any of the fiberglassing supplies. (i'll still make the mold plug though if i can get some of the body panels to work off of or get a different mode of transportation (beater econobox?) to get to work)

some more technically accurate profiling of the side of the rear flare design with faint lines sketched in approximating a non-FL or FL1 rear bumper in addition to the FL2:

21 - 40 of 94 Posts