Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would definetely buy this if it happens! If there is any way i can help let me know. Im relatively new to the forum and the car but im willing to learn and do whatever i can to help.

·
Registered
518 Posts
definitely something i would like to try on one of my tibs, it's been too long for a tib not to have a rocket bunny, people like maitre and some others have had some crazy body designs.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Kind of a necro post but I do have an update. I started drawing on some later I fitted to the fender to get the base dimensions and start the process. Pics attached. Front fender currently being templated. For its footprint on the side of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
WHERE has this post been!? This is fantastic, I've been looking for something like this for a while. Would offer whatever help I can but I'm down in Dallas and I have an FL2 as well. I've been considering finding a FL2 bumper in a junkyard and cutting it up and remold if it to look like the actual rocket bunny v2 bumper. Please keep us updated on this project! I'd definitely buy a set of these if you can get some molds going.

Edit: also, how much more clearance does your prototype give compared to the factory fenders?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
It will be an inch and a half wider up front per side, and 2 inches per side in rear.
I have to still finish the rear flare width definition amd then make some frames for the overall shape of the flares to glue the stretch cloth I decided on using instead of expanding foam. I've already ordered enough fiberglass for my first prototype hopefully, and when I finish, smooth it out, paint it, cut, buff, and wax it, I will see if i can get a limited run group buy or a kickstarter/indiegogo running to fund the equipment to make duplicates. If that is successful, i will mold them directly off my car and make them from high quality fiberglass instead of the bondo fiberglass I'm using for my original set.

If this goes well enough for me to get a non-FL2 GK as a second tib, then the pieces for the older GK style will be developed and molded using the first version as a template.

If that goes well, then i'm thinking of working out functional aero add-on sets that fits the fender sets. and maybe... just maaaaybe, we can improve the draw of the tiburon as a track or autocross car...

·
Registered
53 Posts
when you finish the fl2 set I'll buy it and see what kind of mods it'll need to fit the fl. I currently have a fl2 swapped rear end anyway so. I'm so excited for this. ?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
when you finish the fl2 set I'll buy it and see what kind of mods it'll need to fit the fl. I currently have a fl2 swapped rear end anyway so. I'm so excited for this. ?
that works too. just keep in mind though, tooling the molds and vacuum bagging equipment is probably the most expensive part of it all.

BTW, who would like the option of a carbon top-layer? it might be doable within a reasonable price range if it's only the top layer or two, and the rest being fiberglass

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Doublepost apologies in advance of course. However, i do have a bit of a minor update. I've composed a bit of an aero add-on package design which uses:
-NEFD sideskirts
-flat side splitters with fin
-NIA style front and rear splitters
-front canard with linking fin to NIA style front splitter
-RSW GT wing mounts with swan neck bracket and appropriate wing
-rear canard with linking fin to rear splitter
-air dam panels at the front of each wheel well

and changes to the design of the kit:
-cutaway behind front tire slightly for clearance and pressure relief
-changes in body line accentuation
-change in tail end tip shape

EDIT: revised/refined design. which one of the two below looks better?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Sorry about not having real progress updates. I am trying to secure enough income to have a cheap daily so that i can continue actual development on this car. So for now, you'll have to make do with a lackluster rendering of the kit.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
ive started the front driver side flare's template. when i have free time, i'm gonna stick it back on the car and coat it with a hardening agent that's compatible with fiberglass resin.

edit: i've cut the master template apart to make the mirror templates. the mirrored forms are done, so all i have left to do for the front is to stick the paper forms on, line up everything evenly, mask the surrounding area, and apply the fiberglass reinforcement to solidify the shape for the two front fenders. after the fiberglass has hardened/cured, i can pull the fenders off to trim the edges.

after this, next on the list is to mask off the car once again (daily driver, so after each day i have to take the parts off.) reaffix the front fenders, and apply a few more layers of fiberglass to build extra rigidity before i smooth on some fiberglass filler and bondo. this rough fabrication should take about a week if i work consistently.
for the rears, i will repeat the above process and during the edge trimming step, i will cut the fuel door cutout, add in the paper base template and fiberglass over that section again.

so basically, i hope to have this ready to be mounted on my car in a month or two, prepped for paint the next week, and painted the week after.

Latest progress photos:
only had enough resin for 1 layer on 1 side. gonna go dig out some more resin from my storage and do the 1 layer on the other side and the second layer on this side tomorrow.

very rough, but with some more layers, some trimming, filling and smoothing, this will be the shape that i was going for.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Apologies for the doublepost, But i have finally done hopefully the first and last expanding foam application to the fiberglass bases i've made and reshaped/fixed the 08 gill junction area. currently no pictures, as nighttime pictures suck, but when morning comes and i can take the picture, i'll take that photo, trim up the foam a bit with a box cutter, and get another set of photos of the progress so far.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts