Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,612 Posts
Apologies for the doublepost, But i have finally done hopefully the first and last expanding foam application to the fiberglass bases i've made and reshaped/fixed the 08 gill junction area. currently no pictures, as nighttime pictures suck, but when morning comes and i can take the picture, i'll take that photo, trim up the foam a bit with a box cutter, and get another set of photos of the progress so far.
I've found that a cheap steak knife or bread knife (basically a serrated blade) cuts foam quickly and cleanly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread made me want to start doing things to my fl2 again. Please keep updating this!! I'd be very interested in putting money down towards a group buy for these!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
well, this has been a long time, but spring is here, and that means i get to work on this again. i've actually gotten some flare skins almost done, i just need to get the NSP clay off the inside of the rear flares (i forgot to put the layer of foil/tape between the clay and the fiberglass. stupid mistake) and sand down the inside surfaces of each of the flare pairs to add in the fiber reinforcement. possibly cover my front and rear fender areas with tape again to make a body-flush area of reinforcement for each fender skin so they retain shape as best as i can get them to. but rest assured, this project isn't over. hopefully i can finish it and paint it before may rolls around. fingers crossed i make my timeframe.

and as for FL1 and FL2 fitment, i actually think that the FL2 flares i've put together might (if modified slightly) fit FL1 relatively ok, though i'll probably need to find someone with an FL1 after i make molded duplicates to test fit, modify, and help make the FL1 molds/duplicates.
pics later this week of progress. busy week at work though so no promises.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
so, an update, here's some progress pics. i'm planning on trimming the other fender skin i have left before scraping the nsp clay off (which is gonna take ages.) but besides the rears, the fronts have already been symmetricalized, and i've already begun the filler on one of them. probably gonna add 1-2 layers more to the underside of all the parts to stiffen them up.

edit: as for future plans... cuz i'm a weeb

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
necro update: i have the last of the fiberglass layers applied tot eh rear flares, all that's left is:

- fiber filler
- sanding
- regular filler
- sanding
- test fit and mounting
- paint prep
- paint
- fender cutting
- fender sealing
- spacers
- final assembly

i am hoping to get this done by the time the first week of may comes to a close.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Are you serious with those future plans? Because that would definitely turn a lot of heads, especially for those who know what's in the non-family friendly patches... lol.

How are you planning on painting that? wrap? airbrush? I'm genuinely curious.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well, this has been a long time, but spring is here, and that means i get to work on this again. i've actually gotten some flare skins almost done, i just need to get the NSP clay off the inside of the rear flares (i forgot to put the layer of foil/tape between the clay and the fiberglass. stupid mistake) and sand down the inside surfaces of each of the flare pairs to add in the fiber reinforcement. possibly cover my front and rear fender areas with tape again to make a body-flush area of reinforcement for each fender skin so they retain shape as best as i can get them to. but rest assured, this project isn't over. hopefully i can finish it and paint it before may rolls around. fingers crossed i make my timeframe.

and as for FL1 and FL2 fitment, i actually think that the FL2 flares i've put together might (if modified slightly) fit FL1 relatively ok, though i'll probably need to find someone with an FL1 after i make molded duplicates to test fit, modify, and help make the FL1 molds/duplicates.
pics later this week of progress. busy week at work though so no promises.

If you need an fl1 to test on I would be more than happy to work with you *AND* as an added bonus, I could partner with you and offer these through my little company to help get you exposure/sales. If you would be interested in working something out just let me know!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Are you serious with those future plans? Because that would definitely turn a lot of heads, especially for those who know what's in the non-family friendly patches... lol.

How are you planning on painting that? wrap? airbrush? I'm genuinely curious.
yes. and probably a wrap. i have a few more graphics i gotta finish up-rescaling and re-crisping.
i'll probably leave the car as a fairly clean all black for a while first when the fenders are done so i can get it pasted all over the interwebz. and then i'll wrap it. and then spam it all over the internet again. lol. the flares are kind of a "i wanna get my car lower and wider again since i raised it an inch due to fender clearances"

If you need an fl1 to test on I would be more than happy to work with you *AND* as an added bonus, I could partner with you and offer these through my little company to help get you exposure/sales. If you would be interested in working something out just let me know!
tell me more about your co. i'd definitely need a partner for the production , especially if i were to do both FL1 and FL2 variants.

this first set is just for me, and very rough. the quality is much too low to be a product since i skipped manufacturing techniques and prepwork in favor of expediency to get a set together.the investment after these flares are completed would be pretty hefty, since it's molds and vacuum bagging equipment/materials

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Updates: sanding is a PITA.
i'm far behind my self-determined schedule since sanding the fiberglass filler takes so long. and ive still yet to do the regular bondo filler and mount it to the car for correct shape before the application of the bondo filler

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious on your current progress with the kit. I stumbled upon this forum while looking for ideas for making my own kit for my tib and I really like your designs. I was originally going to base a kit off of the rb brz and some Genesis kits, but if you haven't started making anything for the FL1 I might try to make a set for mine based off your drawings

81 - 94 of 94 Posts