Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dynoed 217 whp 190 wtq. My mods are I/H/E SAFC II (tuned) alpine stage 1 s/c with 500 miles on it. The funny thing is that I was maxing out my injectors. I could have gotten more power but as soon as my car hit 5,500 RPM the fuel curve went from a nice fat 11's range to over 13 and no matter how much fuel the tuning guy tried to dump via SAFC the a/f ratio would not come down. But the way my HP and torque curve is looking I will be able to break 220 whp with bigger injectors... thus i have decided to go Alpine stage 2 in the future. Might as well if i need new injectors just get a pully and FPR I have everything else I need. :3_coool: Tuscanjay here on NT better watch out... i'm comming for him.. :3_shiny:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
interesting.... same thing happend to me and I had 290's (the 5500rpm part)

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jovanie said:
interesting.... same thing happend to me and I had 290's (the 5500rpm part)
Was that on a stage 1 alpine set up? I'm worried that it's not actually the injectors but the ECU that is somehow limiting the SAFC from dumping more fuel in. It would suck if I paid hundreds of dollars for injectors that I don't need.

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
You're tuning way too rich. There is no reason for a stage 1 to be in the 11s. Low 13s, high 12s maaaaybe. The reason you're going lean in the upper RPMs is that you're adjusting so much with the SAFC that the ECU thinks the engine pulling in too much air and throws a high maf code.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
yellowtibby said:
Was that on a stage 1 alpine set up? I'm worried that it's not actually the injectors but the ECU that is somehow limiting the SAFC from dumping more fuel in. It would suck if I paid hundreds of dollars for injectors that I don't need.
nice dave.. you will now officially dominate any wrx in town!

your ecu isnt in limp mode is it?

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was done on a AWD dynojet btw. I don't know if those give more conservative numbers than normal dynojets.

·
Registered
819 Posts
yellowtibby said:
I dynoed 217 whp 190 wtq. My mods are I/H/E SAFC II (tuned) alpine stage 1 s/c with 500 miles on it. TuscanJay here on NT better watch out... I'm coming for him.. :3_shiny:

Nice #'s Dave. We'll have to run it. lol. Maybe we can head down to Englishtown the Friday before the meet this summer. :D

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TuscanJay said:
Did they say how many psi you were hitting?
No they didn't but you should really fuel tune yours man cause the guy was saying that I was running pretty lean. Not good for the motor. I bet you are running lean too.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
What kind of fuel PSI are you getting? I wonder why both you and Jovanie went lean @ about 5,500 rpm, just a thought!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are you making adjustments to the Safc-II too much at a time. Yea im too thinking the ecu might be rejecting the agressive tune right away. Give us an update... I have 290cc injectors no fuel pump, and a aeromotive 1:1 fpr. and im in the 12's for the A/F ratio under WOT. Im takeing away fuel still... throughout the curve. Although im also ripp charged... I never understood why some people need higher flow rate injectors then 290's. Mabye u guys need mechanical back up here(pump/fpr) instead? I don't have an alpine so I could be way off here.

·
Registered
355 Posts
bagpiper said:
I'm stage 1 Alpine with Nextgen 2.75 s/c pulley, mafterburner, oem fuel pump, 290cc Hyundai injectors, 251whp @ 5psi and mine aren't maxed out.
That doesnt make sense though. Are urs even close to maxing out? Don't you guys have the exact same set up? Hmmm...weird

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Your pegging the MAF, PM Nul and he can explain better. And yeah you dont need a 11:1 a/f ratio for that low of boost unless thats where your making the most power

bagpiper said:
I'm stage 1 Alpine with Nextgen 2.75 s/c pulley, mafterburner, oem fuel pump, 290cc Hyundai injectors, 251whp @ 5psi and mine aren't maxed out.
Stage 1 with 2.75 pulley is a stage 2 btw

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You think my a/f is going up to near 14 at 5,500 rpm because i'm pegging out my MAF? Hmmm will a voltage clamp help?

·
Registered
888 Posts
two things, No 1, it sounds like yellowtibby is using the stage 1 alpine with stock injectors. Yellow, is this true? If so,

No 2, it also sounds like you have not upgraded the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Putting another one of those in line or replacing that stock one with an aftermarket regulator that has a higher rising rate ratio than stock should cure your slight leanness up top even with stock injectors. The stock fuel pump is not the culprit in this case as i've run enough boost/cfm to make 320+whp on the stock fuel pump and never had an issue. Dzignr Tastz will say the same thing.

If i'm not mistaken the alpine stage 1 is designed to be safe for use with stock injectors and no fuel tuner, as is with the stage 0, so, depending on the boost/cfm yellowtibby is adding a lower 13's AFR may be ok for safety and power at this stage of the game.

Yellow, a few more details on your setup would help, namely how much boost you are making which would give us all a better idea of how much the stock injectors can handle as I will find this information quite relevant here in the upcoming weeks... also, it would help if you could answer my other two questions as well.

lostdestiny14 said:
Your pegging the MAF, PM Nul and he can explain better. And yeah you dont need a 11:1 a/f ratio for that low of boost unless thats where your making the most power
Lost, while you are on the right track with this answer in that if he is adding a bunch of "%" to the mix with the SAFC up top he may very well be maxing out the MAF voltage in the higher RPMS. To add to this, it may, as i said, be adviseable for him to swap out his FPR which will squeeze some more fuel out of the stockers with the same squirt thereby allowing him to add a bit less voltage with the AFC up top... may solve his problem right there.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
you shouldn't need a fuel pressure regulator with the stage 1 alpine... with headers that's like ~3psi or so. i'm pretty sure low 13's is the target A/F ratio you are looking for through out the curve. stock injectors are fine... but if you are running the 2.75" pulley with that it's no longer stage 1 and you would need to get an FPR at least, if not bigger injectors (though i think the FPR should do that trick).

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm running Intake Headers and Exhaust and safc II. I have the alpine stage 1 supercharger I don't know how much i'm boosting but I do have headers so boost will be low.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Boostology said:
Lost, while you are on the right track with this answer in that if he is adding a bunch of "%" to the mix with the SAFC up top he may very well be maxing out the MAF voltage in the higher RPMS. To add to this, it may, as i said, be adviseable for him to swap out his FPR which will squeeze some more fuel out of the stockers with the same squirt thereby allowing him to add a bit less voltage with the AFC up top... may solve his problem right there.
Ummm.... maybe this is my problem. My mix around 4500rpms is very rich (high 10 to mid 11). Since the car started leaning around 5,500rpms I started adding fuel. Maybe it MIGHT be to rich and that's why it leans at that rpm. Since it was lean I added more fuel at and after 5,500rpm.... like 50% MORE.

Maybe.... just maybe I might be stressing it out. (I have SAFC, the upper 2.75 pulley, lower 6.5 pulley. FPR 1:1, 290's injectors and fuel pump). I also have some 440's I was going to put on since I was going lean. BUT know it has me thinking if the lean situation is due to my rich situation right before it goes lean...

Edit: I also have an Innovate Wideband... that's why I know.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts