Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here are new pics of my late brother's 03 100th anniversay edition sportster

overall i am happy with the direction the bike is going and i think it makes a fitting rolling memorial to him

before the new seat was added

sometime next year i will finish converting it from an 883 to a 1250 along with a better breather and some better shocks. also in the planning are some goodies to push it up around 100hp with the help of my mad scientist harley mechanic. cosmetically the bike is where i'd like it to be. i think my bro would be happy with it.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
I respect your ambitions and what the bike is being built for, but I think it is hideous. That exhaust canister.....just a no no. I have that same exhaust on my 86 FJ1200, it is not a cruiser exhaust. However, as I stated before, I do respect the work put into it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RedTibby04 said:
I respect your ambitions and what the bike is being built for, but I think it is hideous. That exhaust canister.....just a no no. I have that same exhaust on my 86 FJ1200, it is not a cruiser exhaust. However, as I stated before, I do respect the work put into it.

apparently you haven't checked out many cafe styled motorcycles. i am not going for a cruiser style with this bike which a sportster most definitely is not but rather the old cafe look.
and i doubt you have that same exhaust on your bike ...... you may have one like it with a similar canister but V&H made that particular exhaust specifically for sportster performance applications.
the idea that harley's are just cruisers is too common among the masses who droll out their lives and never see what else that they can be or are. just look at any old harley flat tracker or xlcr.

·
2,220 Posts
tigger said:
apparently you haven't checked out many cafe styled motorcycles. i am not going for a cruiser style with this bike which a sportster most definitely is not but rather the old cafe look.
and i doubt you have that same exhaust on your bike ...... you may have one like it with a similar canister but V&H made that particular exhaust specifically for sportster performance applications.
the idea that harley's are just cruisers is too common among the masses who droll out their lives and never see what else that they can be or are. just look at any old harley flat tracker or xlcr.
I didn't know there was a "cafe" style bike. The exhaust, I didn't know they actually made for the sportser. I have the SS2R, which is pretty much the same thing. Seriously though, I love motorcycles, its just some aren't my taste. I do however respect your ambitions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RedTibby04 said:
I didn't know there was a "cafe" style bike. The exhaust, I didn't know they actually made for the sportser. I have the SS2R, which is pretty much the same thing. Seriously though, I love motorcycles, its just some aren't my taste. I do however respect your ambitions.
i can understand that. hell i am into lots of motorcycles ... mainly modern naked streetfighters but i like to dig on sportbike roots and cafe bikes are where it's at as far as i am concerned. hell back in the day harley had it's own cafe racer the before mentioned xlcr which is considered to be a legend now.
here's a good couple of quotes from wikipedia involving cafe racer motorcycles. i might also put up some pics later of other cafe racers like the featherbed based tritons or the matchless cafe bikes

Rockers were a young and rebellious Rock and Roll counterculture that wanted a fast, personalised and distinctive bike to travel between transport cafés along the newly built arterial motorways in and around British towns and cities. The goal of many was to be able to reach 100 miles per hour (called simply "the ton") along such a route where the rider would leave from a cafe, race to a predetermined point and back to the cafe before a single song could play on the jukebox, this was called record-racing.
Riders rejected the large transportation-oriented motorcyles of the time by taking these motorcycles and removing any unnecessary parts off them. The bikes had a raw, utilitarian and stripped-down appearance while the engines were tuned for maximum speed.

Because speed was valued more than comfort, bikes were fitted with single seats and low handle bars, such as ace bars, or even one-sided clip-ons mounted directly onto the front forks for more precise control and to escape the wind. Distinctive half or sometimes full race fairings, and large, hand-made, aluminium racing petrol/gas tanks were frequently left unpainted. Swept-back exhausts and rearset footpegs were used to give better clearance whilst leaning through corners at speed.
The cafe racer has a lot in common with the chopper or bobber scene in the USA and both have their roots with post-World War II veterans. While American GIs would take military-spec Harley Davidsons and "chop" off anything unnecessary to improve performance, European veterans took similar measures with their motorcycles. Both looked to make the standard factory motorcycles faster and lighter, although only the Europeans strived for better handling.
Cafe Racers have also been called "Street-Fighters" in reference to World War II veterans' fighter airplanes and have been described as the original "sport bikes" of today.

·
2,220 Posts
On another note, I do like the looks of the Yamaha Road Star Warrior, and I think it falls into that similar category. I would love to have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts