Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is boost pressure what actually blows the motor such as running higher boost because of leaving the stock exhaust manifolds on, or is it the fact that more air is going in such as running an assassin at lower boost vs a sniper at higher boost, or is it actually the heat cause by turning the blower so fast that causes the motor to weaken?

I want to know if my engine will be more reliable with low boost, or if it does not matter because its actually the cfm. 7 psi with an assassin vs 7 psi with a sniper, or does it matter and 7 psi is 7 psi???? thanks! :3_winkthu

Ngm better cooling = better reliability ???

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Boost is boost, PSI is PSI. listen just call this number (954)474-1955 TC can explain it too you. The big thing, the main difference is the CFM, The MP90 is barely spinning at 7 PSI compared to the MP62 it's spinning the rotors at a much higher RPM. Listen If you are really interested and want a completely unbiased opinion go to Barnes and Noble and pick up the book written by Kenne Belle on Superchargers.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
A daily driven highly turbocharged car could be knocked at any moment, but I don't think Superchargers can really knock and destroy your engine, since it's belt-driven.

I'm not sure, so no blame please, and correct me if I'm wrong. :D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The major culprit in "destroying" a motor is an improper tune. Sure, over boosting can cause premature failure of internals, but in most cases it's the tune. You can even blow a "built" motor if your tune is bad.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Rickna said:
The major culprit in "destroying" a motor is an improper tune. Sure, over boosting can cause premature failure of internals, but in most cases it's the tune. You can even blow a "built" motor if your tune is bad.
further to what Rickna is saying, an improper tune can cause premature deconation of the air/fuel mixture. High PSI without the proper tuning and components (like lower compression pistons) will cause the air/fuel mixture to spontaneously ignite before the piston reaches top-dead-center (TDC). Basically the mixture ignites while the piston is still travelling upwards in the cylinder and the force usually bend the piston rod or cracks the piston or even the head.

but remember, this is only when you're running higher PSI. Low PSI (under 8 ) is safe for our V6 engines with proper tuning, and no internal components need to be upgraded to handle it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
further to what Rickna is saying, an improper tune can cause premature deconation of the air/fuel mixture. High PSI without the proper tuning and components (like lower compression pistons) will cause the air/fuel mixture to spontaneously ignite before the piston reaches top-dead-center (TDC). Basically the mixture ignites while the piston is still travelling upwards in the cylinder and the force usually bend the piston rod or cracks the piston or even the head.

but remember, this is only when you're running higher PSI. Low PSI (under 8 ) is safe for our V6 engines with proper tuning, and no internal components need to be upgraded to handle it.
ahhh cause i want to run a fully intercooled sniper setup, my goal is like 250whp and im leaving the stock exhaust manifolds on to be "smog legal" as far as emissions goes. Hopefully if TC ever gets his kit carb legal, then i can be completely legit.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Vidfinnx said:
ahhh cause i want to run a fully intercooled sniper setup, my goal is like 250whp and im leaving the stock exhaust manifolds on to be "smog legal" as far as emissions goes. Hopefully if TC ever gets his kit carb legal, then i can be completely legit.
For S/C guys, 300 WHP seems to be the "line in the sand" that we dare not cross without upgrading the internal components of the motor. Beyond that you are taking risks. But there are lots of guys running Assasins and Stage 2 Alpines that are just under 300 WHP range that are still on stock internals.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
For S/C guys, 300 WHP seems to be the "line in the sand" that we dare not cross without upgrading the internal components of the motor. Beyond that you are taking risks. But there are lots of guys running Assasins and Stage 2 Alpines that are just under 300 WHP range that are still on stock internals.
See my biggest fear is because im leaving my stock exhaust manifolds on with the stupid precats, if i wasnt doing that i would be at a better ease of mind with slapping the s/c on there when the time comes. Im worried about the pressure build up back into the motor

·
Registered
819 Posts
Was there a contest posted somewhere that says "Let's see who can post the most threads asking the same question!" ? You've done this several times. Its quite amusing sometimes with the responses you get.

thread from 3 days ago....
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86389

I mean, I like reading this stuff and learning more about what people have to say but damn!

·
Registered
387 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:

This is very true, but honestly, why is everyone is so concerned about blowing their motor??

HELLO, our tranny is ****! You need to worry about your transmission first.... After about 300 to the wheels, our tranny starts getting sluggish as hell. I believe the motor is good for about 350 before u start running into problems.

...but if you want the 300+ power, instead of buying what you need to make that power, buy what you need to support that power. Build your motor AND your tranny. Just like they always say, you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Vidfinnx said:
See my biggest fear is because im leaving my stock exhaust manifolds on with the stupid precats, if i wasnt doing that i would be at a better ease of mind with slapping the s/c on there when the time comes. Im worried about the pressure build up back into the motor
I dont think you should have a problem boosting high with your stock exhaust manifold, I have a alpine stg 1 around 4psi with only intake and SSA cat back and have 0 problems, I will be going stg 2 soon and I am leaving the stock exhaust manifold on.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Like most people said it is usually an improper tune that destroys an engine. You can take a bulletproof 2JZ,put in the wrong tune and blow the damn thing. It doesn't matter whether your N/A, turbo, S/C, whatever, a wrong tune is a wrong tune and thats going to lead to grenading a motor

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Alex_04_TibGT said:
This is very true, but honestly, why is everyone is so concerned about blowing their motor??

HELLO, our tranny is ****! You need to worry about your transmission first.... After about 300 to the wheels, our tranny starts getting sluggish as hell. I believe the motor is good for about 350 before u start running into problems.

...but if you want the 300+ power, instead of buying what you need to make that power, buy what you need to support that power. Build your motor AND your tranny. Just like they always say, you gotta pay to play.
wow... where to start with this...

I have a 5 spd, and the 408whp tib in PR had a 5 spd... and TC says that 6spds are stronger than the 5 spds. So dont really know where you're knowladge in this comes from... I'm not saying they are bullet proof, but in now way should he worry about the tranny since hes not even going over 250whp

really...

And if your really worrying about the block just get some low comp. pistons and rods and a good tune

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zaion said:

I have a 5 spd, and the 408whp tib in PR had a 5 spd... and TC says that 6spds are stronger than the 5 spds. So dont really know where you're knowladge in this comes from... I'm not saying they are bullet proof, but in now way should he worry about the tranny since hes not even going over 250whp

really...

And if your really worrying about the block just get some low comp. pistons and rods and a good tune
I cant, i live in california

·
Registered
452 Posts
What does living in California have to do with putting pistons & rods in your car? When you get it smogged are they going to rip the block apart for inspection? You could have a fully built motor and slap an assassin on there, then when you go to get smogged put the stock intake manifold back on and they would never know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Suprgtrs_man said:
What does living in California have to do with putting pistons & rods in your car? When you get it smogged are they going to rip the block apart for inspection? You could have a fully built motor and slap an assassin on there, then when you go to get smogged put the stock intake manifold back on and they would never know.
wouldnt changing his pistons and rods to a lower compression ratio actually affect emissions/timing all that good jazz, or is there a way that they can be replaced with stronger but stock parts to better handle boost so that the motor wont break underneath all the extra pressure that the supercharger puts on it. If there is a way that would be the best bet for us californians so that we can add more boost :p but maintain "legality"

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Zaion said:

really...

I need candy, any kind will do
Don't care if it's nutritious or FDA approved.
It's gonna make me spaz like bobcats on booze,
A hyperactive juice that only I can produce
To use a giant drill bore straight into hell
Releasing ancient demons from their sleep-forever spell
So they can walk upon the earth and get resituated
And hawk the diet pills MC Pee Pants has created

·
Registered
14 Posts
ichijin mikomi said:
all i have to say is WTF :2_eek:

·
Registered
956 Posts
ichijin mikomi said:
hmmm...nice ichy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts