Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm looking into doing a timing belt job on my 07' V6 since I can't really tell the last time its been done (Just bought the car 150k)
Most timing belt kits come with the Belt, both pulleys, water pump and the water pump gasket. But that feels kind of light, is there anything else I should change while i'm in there?

I'm looking at the gates kit, but has anybody got any recommended kits they want to throw out there?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Gates is definitely the best for these cars. If you do the full kit with the water pump and tensioner and pulleys that should be fine. May want to change the serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler at the same time, but it's not really a must do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I always do cam seals, and crank seals when doing timing jobs too. Would hate to put a new belt on, only to have oil leak all over it in 10k miles or whatever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always do cam seals, and crank seals when doing timing jobs too. Would hate to put a new belt on, only to have oil leak all over it in 10k miles or whatever.
Yeah that's probably not a horrible idea. Do you have to take the valve covers off to get to the cam seals on these cars?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah that's probably not a horrible idea. Do you have to take the valve covers off to get to the cam seals on these cars?
I'm pretty sure you do, yes. BTW if you haven't already found them you can download full shop manuals here on this forum. And for what it's worth I haven't done the cam seals when replacing the timing belt and I haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not if you have a cam gear holding tool like this one

If you dont, then yes, you'll need to pull the valve covers to hold the cams so you can break the cam bolt loose.

Id suggest just buying the tool. You can find them online $20-30

·
Registered
45 Posts
any other special tools or tips for getting into this job? (im about to replace the timing belt on my 07 V6 as well) also can someone recommend me a kit for this? i don't wanna buy some crap belt that will snap in 30k

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gates or continental would be fine. No other special tools required, however a seal pulling tool is nice, as well as a torque wrench to properly torque the cam/crank bolts.... depends on how much experience you have or how anal you want to be.

Less experience = be more anal

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gates or continental would be fine. No other special tools required, however a seal pulling tool is nice, as well as a torque wrench to properly torque the cam/crank bolts.... depends on how much experience you have or how anal you want to be.

Less experience = be more anal
great thanks for the info, do you have a link to one of those kits?

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's not a horrible price. Now I just need to build up the courage to do it :ROFLMAO:
Its not too hard to do. watch lots of videos. Im sure there are plenty on the 2.7. The engine is identical for this job on any car it came in.

Pro Tip: Use a paint marker and mark your belt and the pulleys before you take it off, then transfer the marks to the new belt. This will help assist you in making sure you arent guessing about being off a tooth or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not too hard to do. watch lots of videos. Im sure there are plenty on the 2.7. The engine is identical for this job on any car it came in.

Pro Tip: Use a paint marker and mark your belt and the pulleys before you take it off, then transfer the marks to the new belt. This will help assist you in making sure you arent guessing about being off a tooth or not.
That's one thing I'm really loving about this car right now. There's a ton of old Santa Fe's and Sonatas with the V6 so it's well documented.

I like your tip a lot, but if I decide to remove the cam gears to do the cam seals how do I make sure the cam ticks will be in the same spot on reassembly? Does the tick always represent the same orientation the cam is spun in?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The cams and cam gears, as well as the crank gear are all keyed. They only fit one way, so it would be impossible to put them back on, for example, upside down.

Just do them one at a time, reassemble, and do the next one. Also, make sure you put the motor at top dead center before you make your marks. Makes things much easier.

Also, once the belt is off, be very careful not to move the cam gears too far in either direction. It will be under valve spring tension and may want to suddenly snap to a different position.

You can move them if you need to, just make sure your cam bolt is tight and torqued, and you have a solid box end wrench on it where it can only go where you allow it. Sometimes this is necessary when putting the new belt on because the old belt might be stretched and you'll need a little slack in order for your marks to match up. This is the situation where people accidentally install the belt and a cam is one tooth off, and where marking your belt eliminates time and guess work.

·
Registered
538 Posts
any other special tools or tips for getting into this job? (im about to replace the timing belt on my 07 V6 as well) also can someone recommend me a kit for this? i don't wanna buy some crap belt that will snap in 30k
Please check out For Sale section. I think i have 3 kits left.. all OEM. prices you can't beat :)
Been a while i haven't bumped that sale section. If you're to do a DIY then follow the how to guide here on forum and i can send you a link specially for tib v6

If seals aren't leaking don't touch them. Let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please check out For Sale section. I think i have 3 kits left.. all OEM. prices you can't beat :)
Been a while i haven't bumped that sale section. If you're to do a DIY then follow the how to guide here on forum and i can send you a link specially for tib v6

If seals aren't leaking don't touch them. Let me know.
I'm interested. I reached out on your FS post.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If seals aren't leaking don't touch them.
I disagree with this. When seals become hard and old, even if they dont leak, the change in hardness is what causes little grooves to wear into the metal faster. Repair sleeves are not always available. Once a deep enough groove is established and a leak finally does occur, you may not be able to stop the leak with a new seal.

Professionally we replace all seals. However from a DIY aspect, i can understand trying to avoid a headache when replacing them. If you arent used to dealing with seals like that, you can absolutely risk damaging it on installation. It does require patience and attention to detail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys! I'm looking into doing a timing belt job on my 07' V6 since I can't really tell the last time its been done (Just bought the car 150k)
Most timing belt kits come with the Belt, both pulleys, water pump and the water pump gasket. But that feels kind of light, is there anything else I should change while i'm in there?

I'm looking at the gates kit, but has anybody got any recommended kits they want to throw out there?
I had a Gates lit put in 3 years ago and the water pump gasket already failed. I just replaced the kit again myself and I went with the factory gasket. It was much higher quality!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts