Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin about getting some kind of a fixer upper and something thats not really really crappy but more of a collectors car. Ive been finding them all day long at about 13k. most of them in decent shape but need the apex seals replaced. anyone have any experience with them? I love the way they look and the power potential with just a simple turbo upgrade, but honestly how often would I need to replace the seals?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've always liked that model year of the RX-7 because I thought it looked very exotic. However, I don't think I'd ever want to own one due to it having the rotary power plant that I have absolutely zero knowledge on it's inner workings (i.e. I couldn't work on it myself). Thus, this is one of those cars that I look at from affar and leave all the tinkering to the "Masters of Mazda." :3_wink:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
that is one of my favourite cars.....RX7 TT.....the 3rd generation....

i was sooooooo close to buying one in prestine condition...motor had just been rebuilkt.......and all was good....then my dad was like....nooo

nywayz....yeah........there seems to be too many problems with them...my cousin has three of them.....one 2nd generation....and two 3rd gen....except one of the newer ones caught fire....so i would really do research before buying on of them

·
Registered
180 Posts
**** if i had the money i would buy one. My uncle used to work at mazda and has 3 first gen rx7's. I love the rotay motor and how they sound. But if you over boost you probably killed one or more of the apex seals. But if you pull the engine out and apart you might as well get the street port done and buy the stronger seals.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
awesome power, and awesome maintainance lol. they are great cars if you have the money to maintain them. the rotary powerplants drink oil man, and the seals need to be replaced semi-frequently. my friend has an rx-8, and it already shakes like crazy at idle.

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
oh i abosolutely love rx7's

it's a car that i promised myself to own eventually in my life,

either an FD or an MKIV supra or both :)

but yea, i'd be scared to have an FD as a daily driver, mileage isnt too great and LOTS of maintenance as i hear.

one of my best buddy's cousin had an FD which also caught fire.... the guy literally cried as he was watching it burn....not a pretty site

·
Banned
392 Posts
I have an RX7. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, it's far too sexy. Maintenance is a bit tough and confusing at first, but it's really not that bad once you read up on the rotary, most of it is common sense.

Just put about 5k aside in case the engine blows.

RX7's caught fire from faulty fuel pulsation dampeners, which was one major recall they had. That would be the first thing you check to make sure was replaced when you buy one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ive had 3 rotarys now and i usually overhall my engine around 65-75k but i rag the **** out of mine. I dont see anything to be scared about using one as a daily driver.like st4rk it can be confusing at first just because its something totally different then what most people are used to but once you get an understanding for it theres nothing to really fear about having one.amazing cars. Im currently trying to save money for a microtek system so i can drop a 20b in my 8

·
Registered
648 Posts
i have an fc.. i like it. about to drop an sr20det in it though. i've had it with the rotary, even with carbon apex seals in it, its still a PITA.... the rats nest of vacuum hoses also sux. troubleshooting isnt the easiest.

·
EL NINJA MODERADOR
5,886 Posts
I have a friend with a 10sec fd . . his tuner have a 7sec fd i will ask him about the seals i only know that a good set cost almost 700.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
i think they are a waste of money but thats just me......
if i did any rx7 i would do a turbo2 and put a 350 in it....

·
EL NINJA MODERADOR
5,886 Posts
Apex Seals;

Janety..... $1800 (compared to rods world this are Pauter)
PMS......$795 ( ll compared to Crower)
ATKINS.....$200 ( ll compared to eagle)

·
Registered
6 Posts
YoYo said:
Apex Seals;

Janety..... $1800 (compared to rods world this are Pauter)
PMS......$795 ( ll compared to Crower)
ATKINS.....$200 ( ll compared to eagle)
OEM Mazda seals are perfectly adequate. The key is getting a good tune and being realistic with your goals. If you want to upgrade, join Mazda Competition or find someone who can get you Ianetti seals, more than $1500 for the complete set. In my experience/opinion, most rotary engines fail because the owner tried to cut corners instead of doing their research and doing it right the first time.

Getting a 3rd gen does take deep pockets, or the luck of finding one that has had all the reliability mods installed. And yeah, the fuel line upgrade should have been performed on all 3rd gens, but some were bound to slip through. If I were getting one, off the top of my head, I'd have these things covered:

check fuel system (st4rk said it well)
change fuel filter (make this routine)
silicone vacuum lines
upgrade radiator and deletion tank
downpipe
boost and water gauge
put aside a few K for a new engine, and for it to be done right
no power upgrades, except downpipe, until everything is functioning properly

My history:
'87 RX-7 Turbo
'93 RX-7
'04 RX-8

btw, I see you're in Puerto Rico. You guys are insane when it comes to rotary engines!

·
Registered
6 Posts
AnthonyNTC3 said:
awesome power, and awesome maintainance lol. they are great cars if you have the money to maintain them. the rotary powerplants drink oil man, and the seals need to be replaced semi-frequently. my friend has an rx-8, and it already shakes like crazy at idle.
They do not need seals to be replaced semi-frequently. And rotary engines are interally harmonically balanced. That's why there is no harmonic dampener on the main pulley. If your friend's RX-8 "shakes like crazy" he should probably start by checking his engine mounts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts