8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a 1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon.

FrontCorner-10-03 copy (Medium 800x600).jpg

Basics are:

SS brake lines (Goodridge)
Upgraded pads & rotors (stock diameter)
Front brake cooling hoses
Wider OEM Impreza RS rims (16x7" vs. 16x6.5" stock)
Solid front & rear sway bar end links
Larger diameter adjustable rear sway bar (by COBB Tuning)
Modded rear sway bar chassis mounts
Front & rear strut tower braces (by COBB Tuning)
Stiffer engine & trans mount bushings
Stiffer shifter bushings (by COBB Tuning)
Modified "OEM" intake box, hoses & torque box
Modified aluminum intake (port matched to the COBB heads)
Equal length tube headers (by COBB Tuning), 1st ever installed on a wagon
CAT back exhaust (by COBB Tuning), 1st set ever installed on a wagon, later ones had the correct longer exhaust tip
Morrette projector headlight units
13lb (vs. 22lb+) flywheel, forged
ACT street clutch, full disk, sprung
Jump from 205/55-16 RE-092 to 225/50-16 Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires
Misc other bits

Had..... will rebuild:
STi 2.5L shortblock with 11.5:1 CR pistons (by Crawford)
Ported & polished DOHC heads (by COBB Tuning), last set they sold, ever
Higher lift, longer duration street cams with titanium keepers and high load springs (by COBB Tuning)

Dropped a valve, wiped a cam, damaged a piston.

Stock 2.5L NA engine is ~165WHP
Current "stock" 2.5L NA with modded intake, EL headers & CAT back is ~185WHP
All engine/exhaust mods on STi block was ~225WHP+

My basic motto is, "If it does not make it accelerate faster, stop faster, corner harder, it won't get done."
I'm the original owner and other than the rims (although they are OEM Subaru 6 spoke Impreza rims) and Morrette headlights (stock had a piss poor beam pattern, these are great), car looks almost like when I picked it up spring of 1998.

I used to AutoX it a fair amount and did track days as well.
Pissed people off getting passed by a Subaru wagon on a track.......LOL.

My "fair weather ride" is a 1986 Yamaha FZ-750.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
You can tell a lot by how someone takes care of their car or vehicles. I really respect the time and effort you put into keeping those bad boys in mint condition.

·
Super Moderator
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FZ I bought as a "wreck" from a motorcycle salvage yard. It was a couple years old, maybe 2K miles on it.
Basically replaced the top front of the bike, frame work, etc to get it ridable. It's not perfect, but fun.

Part of why it's special is that it's a true 750cc. Back in the 80's, Harley cried, "The Japs are dumping bikes on us, we can't compete!". So the FTC put a ~50% tariff on high volume imports over 700cc to allow Harley to get sorted out. Most bikes became 700's with a few peeps spending a ton more for the last 50cc. Mine is one.
It's also among the 1st true perimeter framed street bikes (The Honda Interceptor is the 1st IIRC) and had great reviews in it's time.

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
nice scoobaru, @Charlie-III!!! well done! love the Morrette headlights! when we get some warmer weather, I'll be opening up my headlights to do a retrofit HID kit, and when they are open, I'll be painting my bezels body color- my own version of Morrette/corvetter lights.

EDIT: too bad you are in New England- we have a N.E.-based scoobaru forum that is pretty fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
nice scoobaru, @Charlie-III!!! well done! love the Morrette headlights! when we get some warmer weather, I'll be opening up my headlights to do a retrofit HID kit, and when they are open, I'll be painting my bezels body color- my own version of Morrette/corvetter lights.

EDIT: too bad you are in New England- we have a N.E.-based scoobaru forum that is pretty fun.
Careful on the HID retofits, most don't get the bulb in the correct spot for the reflectors, thus the beam pattern sucks.

The Morrettes are Hella projector housings in a new plastic surround. Beam pattern is a "true european" with a hard horizontal cutoff to mid-beam, then a ~30* upper right slope. They also take "H style" (H-3??, can't remember) bulb, so higher wattage is easy to do.

PS, I believe you mean, "Too bad you don't live......". Where in NE?? I will be just south of Boston in a little over a week for a few days of work.

Kel, not much to see under the hood (other than the front STB), basic looking 2.5L NA Subaru engine.
If you know Subaru's, most only notice the RS rims & Morrettes, maybe the sound, otherwise it's boring to look at.:squint:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love the wagon man! I would love to own one of those. I had a 1998 impreza 2.2L and it was a great car., Glad to see you take care of both rides man... Keep it up!!

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Careful on the HID retofits, most don't get the bulb in the correct spot for the reflectors, thus the beam pattern sucks.

The Morrettes are Hella projector housings in a new plastic surround. Beam pattern is a "true european" with a hard horizontal cutoff to mid-beam, the a ~30* upper right slope. They also take "H style" (H-3??, can't remember) bulb, so higher wattage is easy to do.

PS, I believe you mean, "Too bad you don't live......". Where in NE?? I will be just south of Boston in a little over a week for a few days of work.

Kel, not much to see under the hood (other than the front STB), basic looking 2.5L NA Subaru engine.
If you know Subaru's, most only notice the RS rims & Morrettes, maybe the sound, otherwise it's boring to look at.:squint:
well this retrofit comes with its own set of projectors and housings, so its supposed to be plug and play, and the cut off is mean...

i live in Taunton, so if you are just south, then you'll be around my area! :berge:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
geezus that wagon is clean. im actually looking to pick up either a legacy wagon or impreza wagon as a daily in a week or two.

i love the rex but my daily commute is stacking miles fast.

i wanna see more pics! lol

·
Super Moderator
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
geezus that wagon is clean. I'm actually looking to pick up either a legacy wagon or Impreza wagon as a daily in a week or two.

i love the rex but my daily commute is stacking miles fast.

i wanna see more pics! LOL
Thanks bro.....

While these pic's are ~10 years old, the car looks the same.

If you have a Subaru question, please feel to ask, I can shed some light. While I'm not an "expert", I support 2 Subaru's in the driveway as well as have been active on a number of Subaru forums.

They are parts, I have an idea of Subaru parts.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks bro.....

While these pic's are ~10 years old, the car looks the same.

If you have a Subaru question, please feel to ask, I can shed some light. While I'm not an "expert", I support 2 Subaru's in the driveway as well as have been active on a number of Subaru forums.

They are parts, I have an idea of Subaru parts.
ha hell yea, im not around often but i guess i can pm you with questions should any arise.

·
Super Moderator
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ha hell yea, I'm not around often but I guess I can pm you with questions should any arise.
No problem, My father lives in the Sarasota area, I drop by there now & then on work trips.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Sick. I love any Legacy, except the current gen. You've cared for it meticulously, and put some forethought into what appears to be a very clean build. Nicely done.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That is a really sweet legacy. Those headlights are so rare and awesome too, super jealous of that for sure. Having fun in the snow this year? There's been plenty of it where I live.

·
Super Moderator
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts