Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a questions out there for yous guys!

What does your V6 idle at? Mine idles at 900rpm once it warms up which seems a little high for me. It used to idle around 500 rpm....i think. I noticed that after I put on my CAI (over a year ago), when i cranked it, especially when its cold, it will jump up to 1500rpm then in about 5-10 seconds, go down to 900rpm. This is a random thing....it doesn't happen all the time. If it's not normal to import cars then I'm pretty sure that this could be a vacumm hose issue but I'm not sure where to look. I'm pretty sure I can take it to a dealer and get them to look it over but I just simply don't have them time. :3_steam:

But at the same time, I don't wanna take it to the dealer and they just adjust something and make it worse. I've been thru that before too.....fix something that doesn't need fixing...ya know?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
mine jumps up to 1500 and then settles at 900 as well...

i think it does it to warm up...

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
Yep, thats the motors way to make sure its warm enough. I usually wait for it to settle before I go driving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
mine does the same when i start it up jumps to 1500 then back down to about 800-900. only mods are ssa catback

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
according to the SAFC2 mine idles around 750 once warm

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I guess that's the verdict on that one. 900rpm seems to be normal. Thanks all but keep the opinions coming. I'm interested that the SAFC says 750. That's a little closer to where mine used to idle.

·
Registered
972 Posts
mines about 800-900 somewhere around there. mine also goes to 1500 when its cold out.. it just has to warm up.. i think if its anywhere over 1k for idle after its warm is prolly a bad thing.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Too many variables. What are you looking for?
Cold start or fully warm?
Automatic or manual? (if auto, in gear or neutral?)

Manuals and automatics usually have different idle settings.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah - mine starts up somewhere around 1500 for a little bit and then goes down to around 750 or so ... I was meaning to ask this question here also ... wasn't sure if it was normal or not - I guess it is :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
mine starts close to 2k on a cold morning then goes to 1500 then down to the 760 range

·
Registered
647 Posts
well if i remember correctly..back when i had i/h/e stage iv, i used to idle around 700-900rpm.. and thats after warm up.. these days.. i idle just at 600rpm..and i've taken off my headers.. i kinda worry that the rpm will just drop and stall out, which has happened before.. and this was due to crappy hoses for the cai.. now i got a sri.. what i'm wondering is if air is escaping for my rpm to hang that low..btw i got auto..

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NovaResource said:
Too many variables. What are you looking for?
Cold start or fully warm?
Automatic or manual? (if auto, in gear or neutral?)

Manuals and automatics usually have different idle settings.

Variables? To answer your questions....

Both - cold and warm
Manual - check my signature
in neutral

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
SuperSaiyan said:
Variables? To answer your questions....

Both - cold and warm
Manual - check my signature
in neutral
My questions was more for everyone else that is answering your original question. I wanted to make sure you got answers from similar (manual) Tibs. I can't help since I have an auto.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts