Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So new here first time posting of any kind. So I'll try make this brief and simple I'm self taught so don't know all the terms or names of all parts. So be understanding . Here goes I have 2003 tib 2.7 l V6 6m/t with almost 300,000 miles so I had replaced valve cover gasket s and spark plug tube seal s after doing so I blew spark tube seal by making dumb mistake didnt replace it again figured.it be alright leaked little oil but seem to run ok. Until one day sitting.waitimg for friend car idiling heard noice like something broke and belt started to squeal.didnt see any thing broke sounded like noise was p/s pump so check the fluid is low check the oil was low so I went put power steering fluid in Addison oil seem to seem to be running up all right with my brother's house ran out of gas got some gas put it in wouldn't start like wouldn't even turn over motor wouldn't turn so I thought it was seized got it towed home I'm a friend of mine found me a motor 3.5 Kia motor only 100,000 miles on it so let me look at the car a Little closer got the motor to turn over by hand check the timing belt was wasted. So I bought a new belt I'm still thinking about changing the motor to the bigger 3.5 motor add some horsepower and some torque but do isn't have ecu for 3.5 motor add o skeptical of my knowledge of what to try and incorporate into my Tiburon harness from the Kia harness to make it work or if it is even possible to use ecu from my 2.7 m/t engine with the 3.5 a/t with slap shift.? So been kind of hesitant. It's been couple weeks got engine / transaxle and subframe bout out of tib but can't find any info bout what I specifically need from Kia harness or if it will work and no ow I pressed for time started thinking just change ring belt now get it running again for now and continue to research if I can use that engine with my transmission and ecu.yiik off timing belt cover realized that when belt broke it chipped couple pieces of cast aluminum from bottom motor not really major except it got in there with crankshaft sprocket and the belt and kind of chewed up the sprocket a little bit so now if I put a belt on there it's just going to tear the belt up again but so now I'm thinking what do I do the engine swap try to figure it out the wiring or do I go ahead and take that bottom end of the 3.5 the block and incorporate all my good parts from my block and put it on there I'll still have a 2.7 l engine with the cast iron block I think I think it's cast iron help what do I do what's going to be most efficient time wise I can always find another block and put the 3.5. stuff back together on that block put that in later I don't know what do I do any thoughts would be helpful I love my tib it's the second one I've had so please keep the oh I should buy new car to urself looking for real help not options bout what cars you like or don't like!! Thank you in advance for your ideas. Oh I don't have a lot of money to spend like none but am pretty resourceful and have few people behind me keeping me motivated.

·
Registered
537 Posts
First of all, lets start with a little forum etiquette. Your post is a wall of text covering many different points of interest. There is an internet meme TLDR which means Too Long Didnt Read. I hate it when people do that because.... well it makes me want to punch babies when somebody says it. Its stupid and lazy. However, the wall of text certainly is intimidating for some people. Such is life.

But, the bottom line is, a wall of text is difficult to pick out the necessary information to address your points one at a time. Separate your thought out like im doing here so people can follow along easier and be more willing to help you.

For those who TLDR: the actual brief and simple is his timing belt broke, bought a 3.5 engine out of a kia, and is looking for information on how to install it into his tiburon.

To quote chase from another post:

The engine mounts need fabrication. The passenger side axles need fabrication. You need a tuning solution because the crank angle sensor is mounted at a different angle than the Delta 2.7L so it will throw your ignition timing way off unless you can compensate for that by modifying your ECM's ignition tables. No open source tuning solution exists yet for our OEM ECM so that's already a challenge in of itself. The aftermarket support is just as bad on the Sigma motor as it is for the Delta motor so many would argue it's not a worthy swap for the added weight and minimal HP gains.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
There isn't a lot of knowledge on the 3.5 swap because it was done mostly by the Koreans. The swap was few and far between without any real translation of their work. Our knowledge of the 3.5L swap is mostly speculation that has been regurgitated for 20 some years. The good news is that the 3.5L Sigma (AKA Mitsu 3.5L 6G74) is compatible with our transmission bolt patterns and only needs the passenger side motor mount fabricated. However, if you end up with a 3.5L Lambda you have a lot more work ahead of you because they are not compatible with our transmission bolt patterns.

Sounds like you already have the ECM from the 3.5L which is only part of the equation. The 3.5L ECM CANBUS isn't likely compatible with the Tib's gauge cluster or automatic TCM. I don't recall if the Sportage has an integrated TCM inside of the ECM or not so that is another challenge. If slapshifting is not built into the Sportage ECM/TCM and shifter assembly then it won't be an option for you at all. Basically you will lose your gauge cluster functions and automatic transmission shifting if you decide to swap over the Sportage automatic transmission without rewiring the harness for the sportage ECM/TCM. My recommendation would be to keep the manual transmission for simplicity sake if you get yourself a 3.5L Sigma.

Honestly it's a lot of work. If you intend to go the swap route you might as well swap the largest motor you can that's compatible with our transmission bolt pattern. That is the Mitsubishi 3.8L Mivec 6G75. The Puerto Ricans LOVE that swap mated with our 6 speed transmission. They swap it into everything down there. Again, engine management is an issue due to the crank position sensor being in a different location and the crank trigger wheel having a different tooth count. You may be better off with a standalone ECM to overcome those issues. Also so you can control the MIVEC properly.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
Here is a Tiburon with a Mivec 3.8L mated to a 6speed. The builder doesn't speak English I don't think so we haven't been able to ask him about his engine management:

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I'm gonna start over if i may, I have 03 tib 2.7 l V6 with round 300,000 miles this is my second One great car. Don't have lot $ but checking my resources looking for back up motor for straight swap 2.7 to 2.7 did once before pretty simple 🤨! So what i got was Kia amanti which i was told had no ecu, no key, and only 100k, and the assurance that it ran. My car stopped few days prior the Kia was free mounts looked to be in same place as mine and assumed blocks same. That's my intro sorry for rambling try keep it short here on out! Sorry for the walls i need some advice but I'll get that later.tldr already

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
Which motor does the Amanti have? The Sigma 3.5L? If so it will bolt up fine but the Tiburon ECU won't work well because it is tuned for a smaller motor with 190cc injectors. The Sigma 3.5L has 290cc injectors and the Tiburon ECU won't be calibrated correctly for it. It might start and run but it could be very inefficient as a result. Just make sure you keep as many sensors from the 2.7L as possible if you intend to try it with the Tiburon ECU. Such as O2 sensors, MAF sensor, TPS, IACV, IAT, coolant temp sensor and knock sensors. Each sensor is calibrated on the ECU and aren't always interchangeable between cars or motor sizes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can i tell which motor i have it is 3.5 l but how to tell if sigma, or lombada? I took the harness from Kia but cut it where it goes into passenger compartmh
ent i didn't think i had the ECU but it is there.so i kept most wire harñess to just behind front seat wanna use my 6m/trans have new clutch hope trann bolts up.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
Look at where the oil filler cap is located and how the the design of the intake manifold is.

Here is a Sigma which is compatible with our 6speed transmission:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

This is a Lambda transverse mounted engine. Not sure if it's the Lambda I or Lambda II though so there may be other variations that differ from below. But the oil filler cap should appear in the same location:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Auto part

Engine management will be tricky especially if you have emissions testing requirements. Since the Kia Amanti is an automatic it will undoubtedly throw a TCM check engine light if you use the Amanti ECU in the Tiburon with a manual transmission. Any check engine light will invalidate your emissions testing. You also may not have a working gauge cluster in the Tiburon while using the Amanti ECU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look at where the oil filler cap is located and how the the design of the intake manifold is.

Here is a Sigma which is compatible with our 6speed transmission:
View attachment 137618

This is a Lambda transverse mounted engine. Not sure if it's the Lambda I or Lambda II though so there may be other variations that differ from below. But the oil filler cap should appear in the same location:
View attachment 137619

Engine management will be tricky especially if you have emissions testing requirements. Since the Kia Amanti is an automatic it will undoubtedly throw a TCM check engine light if you use the Amanti ECU in the Tiburon with a manual transmission. Any check engine light will invalidate your emissions testing. You also may not have a working gauge cluster in the Tiburon while using the Amanti ECU.
So yes i have sigma 3.5l so i pulled my tranny from old motor have new clutch do i need to remove and use my flywheel from old motor? Might silly question but really new to this. Also i have ECU and instrument cluster from amanti if that makes things easier

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely need your flywheel from the 2.7 as the amanti was not manual transmission.
Cool thought so but never pulled auto tranny it has slap shift doesn't matter rught? So also I'm gonna need ui for the ECU, no matter if i use the 3.5 or the 2.7 ECU correct? So i have laptop i also have Bluetooth OBD2 reader and performance chip that goes into the one ond2 slot and got it for 2.7l engine.dont know if i could use any of that so do any ody know wherei can get user interface cable and best software to get

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
Our generation of Hyundai can't read/write through the OBD2 port without expensive dealership tools. The tools that claim they can, are fake. If you have an OBD2 tuner it's straight snake oil and you should return it.

You will have to use the 3.5 ECU but you will have a persistent TCM check engine light because it won't detect an automatic transmission if you keep the manual. That's OK and should work as long as you don't have emissions or state inspections. However, as I've mentioned before, your Tiburon cluster will not work with the 3.5 ECU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i can use cluster from the amantii? I should hold onto the auto trash for 4 purposes. Also do you know if my aftermaker exhaust manifold and headers will still bolt up off the 2.7 or should i leave stock ones on and just merge them into the rest of my exhaust

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
I'm sure with some modification the cluster from the amanti will work. We have not tested it so you're blazing new trails with this swap. You may run into weird problems like the speedometer being incorrect or the fuel gauge showing the wrong amount of fuel because the sensors are very different from the Tiburon.

Headers from the 2.7L will not fit the 3.5 and I don't believe you can buy headers off the shelf for the 3.5L. The Sigma 3.5L shares a lot of parts with the Mitsubishi 6G74 because they are basically the same engine, but the header flanges may be different. I would recommend buying exhaust gaskets from the Mitsubishi 6G74 non-MIVEC engine to test whether they match your Sigma 3.5L. Then you can go shopping for Mitsubishi 6G74 headers and have a custom Y pipe built to match your Tiburon catback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure with some modification the cluster from the amanti will work. We have not tested it so you're blazing new trails with this swap. You may run into weird problems like the speedometer being incorrect or the fuel gauge showing the wrong amount of fuel because the sensors are very different from the Tiburon.

Headers from the 2.7L will not fit the 3.5 and I don't believe you can buy headers off the shelf for the 3.5L. The Sigma 3.5L shares a lot of parts with the Mitsubishi 6G74 because they are basically the same engine, but the header flanges may be different. I would recommend buying exhaust gaskets from the Mitsubishi 6G74 non-MIVEC engine to test whether they match your Sigma 3.5L. Then you can go shopping for Mitsubishi 6G74 headers and have a custom Y pipe built to match your Tiburon catback.
So if my exhaust gaskets match up then my headers should fit.just removed stock manifolds preparing to remove tran and at first glance i was thinking my headers would fit but i haven't compared I'll get back after i check with my old exhaust gaskets... So i will need ui cable and running software for ecm ??? If so do you have any suggestion on that?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
I'm not sure if I can help you any further because I'm starting to repeat myself.

What I'm saying is the 3.5L Sigma is the same as the Mitsubishi 6G74 so there may be header options for you from the Mitsubishi line of motors. But the Y pipe has to be custom fabricated to mate with your catback.

There is no UI cable or software to access the tune on either the 2.7 or 3.5 ECU. You will have to splice the wire harness to accept the 3.5L ECU and hope for the best. There is no guarantee that it will work. I'm just trying to give you the best info I have so you know what you are working with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure if I can help you any further because I'm starting to repeat myself.

What I'm saying is the 3.5L Sigma is the same as the Mitsubishi 6G74 so there may be header options for you from the Mitsubishi line of motors. But the Y pipe has to be custom fabricated to mate with your catback.

There is no UI cable or software to access the tune on either the 2.7 or 3.5 ECU. You will have to splice the wire harness to accept the 3.5L ECU and hope for the best. There is no guarantee that it will work. I'm just trying to give you the best info I have so you know what you are working with.
Thank you very much u been very informative don't mean for you to repeat yourself it's not necessary for you to. Now is there any wiring diagrams out there of the combined harnesses Ihave the complete harness from Kia everything to just behind the front seat belt except for ac relays and some the other things looked like relays for heater. Even have all the different junction boxes where all the different part of harness come together.so i just gotta figure out where to begin. Thanks for everything

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
837 Posts
I've got some Tiburon manuals shared here:

I've also got an ECU pinout here that can help you build your harness. You can't trust the colors because they're from a 2007 harness and there have been minor color differences year to year. The pin # and description are accurate though:

If you can give me the year of your Amanti engine/ECU I can pull some schematics for you from Mitchell on Demand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts