Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this tiburon from a dealer recently. Said it is a 2006 v6 6 speed manual but looking up photos of this model, it doesnt show these gills that are on the side of my car like in the image. Is this a mod or a special model? Thank you
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
Appears to be a mod, not factory. Do they actually go anywhere or are they just a dead end?

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
They are interesting looking, but not having a rear engine needing an intake, or rear brake cooling, not much need for those intakes.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,453 Posts
You have a 2007 or 2008 based on the fenders, hood and headlights enclosures. The manufacturer date might be in 2006 but your model will be 2007 minimum.

No those rear gills are not factory. Some aftermarket double sided 3M tape on mod.

Reactions: The_Evenger

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a 2007 or 2008 based on the fenders, hood and headlights enclosures. The manufacturer date might be in 2006 but your model will be 2007 minimum.

No those rear gills are not factory. Some aftermarket double sided 3M tape on mod.
Thank you for your response. Is there any differences between the 2007 and 2008 model? Or is it generally the same. Is there a way to tell exactly which model I have?

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
You have the first GK's, 03 & 04. Bubbles on the headlight clear cover.
You have the GK FL (facelift), 05 & 06. Same size headlights, but a nice smooth curve on the headlight clear cover.
You can can just swap headlights between GK & GK FL's, simple bolt in although there may be a minor wiring change.
Then you have the GK FL2. Different design headlight which also means different hood, front fenders and bumper cover. There are also other body changes.
95% of parts fit any year except some body parts.
There should be a label on the open edge of the drivers door with the month and year build date. In the US, there is also an emissions label under the hood stating what year standards it was built to.
This site also has a VIN decoder to tell you more as the car was built.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,453 Posts
2007 and 2008 are generally the same. Maybe some very minor trim differences.

If you want to find out more about your car, try searching your VIN on this site:

https://hyundai.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:e7dqgl;page:models;lang:en;catalog:gen}

It will show your factory options and if anything was added at the dealer. I don't know how they have such a database of info, but so far it's been very accurate.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys, just searched up the VIN on the website and it is a 2007 model. I don't really understand the rest of the stuff that it lists about the car but it says it has a speaker up grade which im very happy about.

My VIN is KMHHN61FR7U226543 if you guys are interested to look as well

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,453 Posts
Yessir, according to your VIN number it is a 2007 model but it was manufactured in August of 2006.

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
In case anyone else finds this thread, build date can be important on some parts. Example, a 2004 Tib can have 2 different E-brake cable designs. Late '04 is like an '05, early '04 is like a '03. The wheel end is different and yes, there is a thread about it since I posted in it years ago.

· Registered
3,268 Posts
Not sure if the trims are the same in Aus, but in the US you would have what we call an SE model: 6-speed manual, sunroof, high spoiler, red and black seats, and usually a single-din stereo with multiguages for the other half--looks like someone prior to you may have swapped for a double-din unit.

· Registered
932 Posts
Not sure if the trims are the same in Aus, but in the US you would have what we call an SE model: 6-speed manual, sunroof, high spoiler, red and black seats, and usually a single-din stereo with multiguages for the other half--looks like someone prior to you may have swapped for a double-din unit.
Like you said, may be different with it being an Aus spec car, but it wouldn't have been a USDM 07 SE as those never came with automatic climate controls, only manual. However, I do see what looks like the "ESP off" switch, which was only in the SE model for the USDM models. so it's either been modified which is likely considering the age of these cars, or they have different trims over there which is equally likely.

Edit: looks like it's a GK according to the VIN decoder, at least i think. looks like it did come with auto HVAC and ESP from the factory, no mods here. This must just be how they came from over the pond.

· Administrator
9,642 Posts

AKA, FL2 as discussed earlier in this thread.
Curious, what are the intakes made of? Steel should hold a magnet, could be aluminum, plastic or FRP if a magnet falls off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts