Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C all of the sudden stopped working and I looked up reasons and it could have been the climate control but I’m not really sure. When I opened up the cover, the part in the picture fell apart and I’m thinking that’s what the problem is. Also the button for the A/C stopped working, the other buttons are working fine. What parts am I going to have to replace?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My A/C all of the sudden stopped working and I looked up reasons and it could have been the climate control but I’m not really sure. When I opened up the cover, the part in the picture fell apart and I’m thinking that’s what the problem is. Also the button for the A/C stopped working, the other buttons are working fine. What parts am I going to have to replace?
Looks like it's the temp control knob that fell apart?

I'd be replacing that whole panel if it were me. The A/C button not working though could be a problem with the A/C system itself though. Does the light come on at all even for half a second? If so it might be trying to engage but the system is low on refrigerant or the compressor is not working.
I might have to do that but the light doesn’t come on at all, it’s just dead but the other one does work. Thank you though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the blower control switch. You can pick them up at your local parts store.

What you are dealing with though is a much larger issue on these vehicles. So that switch is a pass through of direct voltage/amperage to the blower motor. On lower speeds, its fine, but on speed 3 or 4, you have high or full amperage passing through it to the fan.

This causes the switch to get very hot, and eventually melt the plastic and it comes apart like yours has. Sometimes it can even melt the connector plugged into it. That makes things much more difficult when that happens. Just replacing the control switch will be fine for a period, but more than likely this will happen again.

What I did was replace the fan switch, then rigged up a bracket with a set of 4 relays and used the fan switch to control the relays so that power and amperage is a direct power feed passing through 30a relays feeding the blower rather than passing through the switch. Everything can be done right under the glove box, and is relatively easy to access the necessary wires, IF you are familiar with automotive wiring. If you are not, then this will be very difficult.

I can try to take some pictures as an example but it wont help. If I ever have to do it again on another Tiburon, ill make a youtube video documenting it.

Somebody else posted this image on here a few years back. Ive updated it with a couple notes of my own, but this is essentially what you want to do. OH, and its the Red and Yellow wires that need to be at least 14AWG, not the blue or green. Those are merely relay control and have no real load. The Red and Yellow carry the load of the blower. If I do a DIY on this, ill update this with some other information. Fan speed is 1-4 from left to right on the relays.

View attachment 138197
Got it, I’m no good with anything electrical so I’ll start with the blower control switch for now and hopefully I can find someone that could possibly help me set up the rig that you described. Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts