Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how much gain I can expect from these mods:

CAI (actually cai as it's inside the fender)
Maintec 421 headers
Ark underdrive crank pulley
Phenolic intake spacer

I plan on doing something with the exhaust at one point since that would complete the i/h/e and give me full benefit from it. But I'm afraid of it sounding raspy. I like the stock sound just only wish it was slightly louder.

What kind of power do you reckon is gained with those mods with and without the exhaust?

And any other power mod recommendations? Besides boost obv.

·
Administrator
8,901 Posts
Just those mods?, 10HP max assuming everything else engine/exhaust wise is OK. It would be hard to measure consistently in 0-60MPH runs....

I likely picked that up in my wife's 2004 V6 with new plugs and wires @ 172,000 miles after we bought it. Yeah...the 3 rear plugs likely had never been changed.....very worn vs. the newer looking Champions in the front three spots....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just those mods?
Yea, but I asked for any other mods that would increase power too. I've read through the dyno thread a few times and have seen people pick up about 15hp, also 20hp but with abit more work.

I've been told a BBTB and ported and polished intake manifold isn't worth it on N/A. I mean pretty much no mods are worth it on N/A but those even more so. I was considering a lightweight flywheel but I will probably not bother doing that since it would probably make driving in traffic a nightmare and trying to reverse into my garage a nightmare.

·
Registered
30 Posts
But I'm afraid of it sounding raspy
Exhaust only sounds raspy if you do the hillbilly - mountain dew tuning, aka removing the mid and rear sound dampers (mufflers).
If you do a high quality exhaust you will gain exhaust flow and good sound.

After all those things listed above you could also do some software which will surely help free some more HP.

Also some CAMs can help.

I was considering a lightweight flywheel but I will probably not bother doing that since it would probably make driving in traffic a nightmare and trying to reverse into my garage a nightmare.
Depends on which flywheel you choose in combo with the clutch...
Some are not that bad at all

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some software which will surely help free some more HP.
Like a remap? Can't do that on these ECUs without replacing them as far as I know.

Also some CAMs can help.
I looked into a few companies that could regrind the cams for me, a couple in the states and one in Germany that you recommended to me. Not cheap but would have to get a new ECU to use them I think.

Depends on which flywheel you choose in combo with the clutch...
Can you recommend any?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alphatuning is expert in Software Tiburon things... dont know how they do things

I looked into a few companies that could regrind the cams for me, a couple in the states and one in Germany that you recommended to me. Not cheap but would have to get a new ECU to use them I think.
You will allwasy have to remap / get another ECU after such Change.
Not only regrind, also completely new designed ones might be usefull.
Also (depending on how hard you wanna go) you can completely port and "redesign" your cylinder head (which makes sense in combo with CAMS and Software).
For example a well known company in Germany (ng-motorsports.de) does CNC porting, polishing, new Valves, new Valvetrain, etc...
I had an offer for about 2200€ incl. shipping for doing EVERYTHING :p

: Disassembly
: Ultrasonic cleaning and parts washing box (60 minutes)
Total costs for dismantling and cleaning: 87.56€

CNC channel and combustion chamber options: CNC inlet- and exhaust channel machining desired
: Create golf ball surface
: CNC combustion chamber machining desired
Costs for CNC channel processing: 607.96€

Cost of milling the golf ball surface: 200.62€

Costs for CNC milling of the combustion chambers: 273.72€

Clean valves and grind sealing surface
: Please send me an offer for motorsport valves
Cost Total Section Valve options: 139.04€
: Replace valve guides with UltraFlow Bronze components

Total costs section management options: 297.44€
: Please flow-optimised cutting with CNC multi-angle contour
Total cost section Seating rings: 301.76€

Are oversized seat rings required for larger valves?: 0

Total cost for fitting new rings: 0€

Final options: Cylinder head(s) Planning

: Assembly incl. new valve stem seals desired

Total cost of final options: €254.62

TOTAL :2200€~

Can you recommend any?
As far as I know, Clutchmasters has a contact (I forgot the Name) that puts together clutches for our cars for what we demand. (Power, comfort.....).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
€2200, I don't think I'll go that far 😂

But that's good to know, possibily future reference who knows.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, this is expensive german work.
And I really took EVERYTHING.
Most of the time you dont need many of those options, so you can get this much cheaper.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Honestly, with a good exhaust and maybe a ported manifold and throttle body too...maybe like 160hp. +22 from stock 138hp.
Still not as much power as the V6. And especially no where near the same torque. V6 still wins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I could have a V6 I would but in my country we don't have the V6, there are only a handful of GK as tbey were never sold here by the Hyundai dealer. But 160 sounds pretty good although don't know about the ported and polished manifold as that would be really expensive I think plus not sure if you'd need an ecu to take advantage of it properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts