Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mod bug has bitten me again. I have my headers on now and want more!!!

Since the whole NGM/SSA/etc. intake broo-ha-ha, I am unsure where to get my aftermarket intake at? I have a factory upper/lower from EBAY here that I would like to send to a machine shop. So far the quotes start at $150 (per piece) and go up depending on how much I want it ported.

I would like suggestions on what to do next. Some of you modding veterans have the best advice so I open this thread up to you folks.

Pulleys are going to be my next inexpensive mod. But after that, what should I go with?

Should I go with a Mafterburner / Unichip and tune what I have now or wait until I have all my mods on and then tune?
Or should I wait until I get my aftermarket upper and lower intake plus the phenolic intake spacer?
Big Bore Throttle Body?
New wires and plugs?
Or should I go with motor mounts to put the power to the ground better?
Clutch/Flywheel are not in my budget at this time....but I WILL get there eventually!

I think I just need a roadmap on what should be done first, then so on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
well everyone should start out with I/H/E. then from there its open some like to go with od and ud pullies along with and lsd and motor mounts. some will go straight to F/I. if your sticking with N/A id say get your lower and upper ported then get a pre-tuned mafterbuner from ngm pretuned for I/H/E. then you can work on clutch and flywheel options. just my .02 cents

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Theres no order you need to go honestly.

I have I/E/Stg. 4(just installed) with a MB tuner on its way. I got to say with those 3 mods the powerband just pulls nicely all the way to redline. So of course i'd recommend the stg. 4.

From what I seen on dynos, you can pick up 25wtq at around 2.5-3k rpms and another 10-15 in the higer rpms with a good fuel tune. I'd recommend the mafterburner or safc for your next mod since they allow a custom tune over the unichip's reflash (every car runs different).

The intake spacer honestly didnt too much for me, but every little bit helps.

Lastly Malogus mentioned to me that he got a bigger tb and lower im put on with his current n/a setup and he didnt feel any difference.

Mounts will help with lanuches.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^good advice! Thanks.....I am considering the Mafterburner now after i do pulleys.

Regarding mafterburner....what should I look for? How much care they? Anyone know whre there is one for sale cheap? how does it install, etc.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
208 Posts
just talk to TC reguarding price of pretuned and installation and he will take care of ya.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
SuperSaiyan said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^good advice! Thanks.....I am considering the Mafterburner now after i do pulleys.

Regarding mafterburner....what should I look for? How much care they? Anyone know whre there is one for sale cheap? how does it install, etc.

Thanks again!
got a used one for 200, plus another 45 from getting a wiring harness from tc. I believe theres one for sale now for the same price. They should come with a installion cd and its suppose to be fairly easy to install. I'm having one of my buds install it since I hate wiring stuff, but I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey what about cams? Granted they aren't the easiest to install but they are a very wothwhile mod.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lostdestiny14 said:
got a used one for 200, plus another 45 from getting a wiring harness from tc. I believe theres one for sale now for the same price. They should come with a installion cd and its suppose to be fairly easy to install. I'm having one of my buds install it since I hate wiring stuff, but I'll let ya know how it goes.
Yeah, definitely let me know how that goes. How many different ways do they come preturned. If I get one now with I/H/E and later put pulleys, BBTB, and Stage "X" upper/lower intake on it, does it need to be tuned again or reflashed or something? Where does it go and what is the wiring harness for?

Lastly, is it one of those things you just plug and it works without further configuration....in other words, is it plug and play or plug and pray???

Thanks for the good info folks....keep it coming!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GDL said:
Hey what about cams? Granted they aren't the easiest to install but they are a very wothwhile mod.

Since I DO plan on staying N/A....cams are on my to-do list but probably the last mod I do or close to the last mod that I perform. Them things ain't cheap!!!! and I can only imagine what the labor / tuning cost would be! I wonder if after the cost of buying/installing cams, I would come out better costwise with a S/C.

More food for thought!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
SuperSaiyan said:
Since I DO plan on staying N/A....cams are on my to-do list but probably the last mod I do or close to the last mod that I perform. Them things ain't cheap!!!! and I can only imagine what the labor / tuning cost would be! I wonder if after the cost of buying/installing cams, I would come out better costwise with a S/C.

More food for thought!
It only cost me about $375 for my Crower cam regrinds including shipping, plus $125 for the extra set of stock cams that I bought to send out to them. I'm doing the install myself so it'll be free. That sounds alot better than the cost of a supercharger to me. :3_wink:

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
SuperSaiyan said:
Yeah, definitely let me know how that goes. How many different ways do they come preturned. If I get one now with I/H/E and later put pulleys, BBTB, and Stage "X" upper/lower intake on it, does it need to be tuned again or reflashed or something? Where does it go and what is the wiring harness for?

Lastly, is it one of those things you just plug and it works without further configuration....in other words, is it plug and play or plug and pray???

Thanks for the good info folks....keep it coming!
mafterburner and safc are piggy back units that allows you to put a custom tune on it. For the mafteburner if its pretuned then it just means it already has a tune on it as oppose to it having nothing on there. Whats nice about the mb tuner and safc is that you can customize that tune because not every car runs the same and it may need a different a/f mixture than another tib even if it had the same mod.

The most common way to custom tune it is to take your car into a dyno, do some runs and play around with the a/f by adding more fuel or leaning out the mixture, find that best a/f ratio that gives you the most power.

Thats why alot of us use the piggyback units over a reflashed ecu because every car is different and requires a custom tune to max out its potiental.

The mafterburner is plug and play, comes with a install cd that alot of people say is easy and should only take 2 hours. Alot of people place it in their glovebox.

Lastly if you get a used mafterburner thats not pretuned or has something like a f/i tune, then you can call TC at nextgen to at least get info on one of his n/a tunes he usually puts on.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
bluegtv6 said:
It only cost me about $375 for my Crower cam regrinds including shipping, plus $125 for the extra set of stock cams that I bought to send out to them. I'm doing the install myself so it'll be free. That sounds alot better than the cost of a supercharger to me. :3_wink:
Well f/i mods do have a much better power to money ratio than n/a, but its just [email protected] expensive to get a s/c or turbo.

The crower cams are looking very nice for one of my next major mods. Hope to see a dyno from ya once you get it installed

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
lostdestiny14 said:
Well f/i mods do have a much better power to money ratio than n/a, but its just [email protected] expensive to get a s/c or turbo.

The crower cams are looking very nice for one of my next major mods. Hope to see a dyno from ya once you get it installed
Oh trust me I'm posting up a dyno. Hopefully the highest N/A dyno we've all seen.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, if anyone knows where to find a mafterburner, just holler.

How much do ya'll think an install shop would charge to install cams?

·
Registered
392 Posts
With the mafterburner -- Is that self-tunable? Like hook it up via USB to my compy and just start tunin that bad boy out?

'Cus i went and put money down on a PowerChip, and the stats are pretty sweet for no mods (18HP, 16TQ at the Crank), but its $490, and its pretty much a stock chip remapping... Ill prolly back out of it if the Mafterburner is more worth-while (And half the cost!)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
NextGenMotorsports is who makes the mafterburner. you wire into your ECU and mount the box somewhere in the car. Then when u go to a dyno to tune you bring a laptop with Mafterburner program loaded on it (program CD included with purchase) and you can adjust the fuel added at RPM's. U cant do it without a dyno shop unless u have a wide band to show A/f. Check out NGM's website. I think it cost $400 brand new

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
As for the cams quesion, the local performance shop said about $315 for my install. Plus they are liable for any damage to your engine.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Cutthroat1117 said:
With the mafterburner -- Is that self-tunable? Like hook it up via USB to my compy and just start tunin that bad boy out?

'Cus i went and put money down on a PowerChip, and the stats are pretty sweet for no mods (18HP, 16TQ at the Crank), but its $490, and its pretty much a stock chip remapping... Ill prolly back out of it if the Mafterburner is more worth-while (And half the cost!)
read post #12.

·
Registered
392 Posts
@Lost: Oh. I see.

@thread starter (sorry, read the thread, not the name of the creator), You may want to think about upgrading the suspension. Eibach has a full kit (struts, sways, springs) on TireRack.com for $885.00... Not bad if ya ask me.

Other'n that, yeah -- cams, pulleys, NGM Intake Manifold, sparks, ECU.... prolly not in that order though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts