Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 6-speed tib gt v6 fully loaded but would like to know what are some common complaints and problems? The mileage is around 80k.

How strong are the engines and transmissions? What are the weak points of the car that i need to looking out for?

Btw im new. So hi.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
if its and early 03 the clutch and flywheel umm my axle went when i bought mine and the wheel bearing

·
Registered
782 Posts
Be wary of the mileage. Make sure to ask the seller the maintenance history of the vehicle. Tibs are notorious for dead stock clutches. By around 50 - 60k and up, make sure the timing belt has been replaced or is still in good condition. Since you are looking for a 6 speed, try test driving one when you get a chance. Some 6 speed owners have nightmares with their trannies. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Timing belt, clutch ...
Check the carfax if you can. Good detailed report of the vehicles history.
Inspect every part of the interior and exterior carefully!
The far left and far right vents in my car won't adjust correctly. They're really screwy. They still blow, but I have to use a pen to move them lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Test the sunroof, windows, and locks out. These tend to go out after awhile. Also check for maintenance such as timing belt, any fluids that were changed and whatnot. Also watch out for the clutch on these because they usually don't last as long as a normal clutch should.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ya ask them if they have changed the clutch i got mine and a week later bam theres a big repair bill
actuators go bad often check those
rear windshield wiper can not work right
airbag coming on and some check engine light comes on randomly

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
its already been mentioned on here

1. make sure the windows open and close correctly (look at the speed and "alignment" on the windows)
2. make sure the sunroof opens and closes correctly (might want to pour a bottle of water on the sunroof when its closed just to be sure it doesnt leak)
3. make sure the turn signals work properly (bcm relays go out, mine did)
4. 03 tibs rack & pinion are commonly known to go out (mine did)
5. airbag light comes on due to seatbelt recall (never got this fixed on mine but fuuck it)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts