Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep coming across posts where people are mentioning problems with the paint on the Tiburon. Is this a very common problem? Does the paint actually start chipping off, or just fading a little? And if this has happened to yours, did it happen while the car was still fairly new? I understand that it's probably normal for paint to start fading and/or chipping as the car ages. But when it's only a couple years old? That's not a good thing. Sounds like Hyundai must use cheap paint.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Yeah, it's a common problem, both chipping and fading.

You can get your car repainted under warranty, but you have to fight like a mother****er to get it. I know Chaotix was successful in getting it done.

I don't have any paint problems, but I do have orange peeling all over my car, especially the hatch.

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
i've had a few chips here n there but i'd blame it more on highway driving in atlanta than anything. it jus thappens. only paint problem i've had is the gas cap paint fading away into a matte blue color, then the second go around into a gray color. The dealership has repainted it twice.but 2 different departments have delt wtih it so we'll see how the paint job goes this time. the guy said something about he uses a very high quality paint from germany or something. AND he said I was the first person he'd met who knew her paint code off hand :) lol

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
The paint on my car is actually quite good. The big problem I've found was the fuel door, which apparently the paint doesn't adhere to that plastic very well. That was repainted under warranty, but once you hit 36K miles you're SOL.

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
oh, AND i can't speak much anymore cause about 25% of my car is not original paint anymore. come december you can raise that to about 35-40%. I've had the front bumper, right side front fender, left side rear wheel well area, and gas cap repainted. Adding to that list over christmas will be the back bumper, as well as the right side rear wheel well area. *sigh*

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
The paint on my car is actually quite good. The big problem I've found was the fuel door, which apparently the paint doesn't adhere to that plastic very well. That was repainted under warranty, but once you hit 36K miles you're SOL.
thats a negative. I'm at 42k and I just had my gas door repainted for free.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
spldominator said:
thats a negative. I'm at 42k and I just had my gas door repainted for free.
Then you got lucky, because

aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
REALLY? I thought the paint warranty ends at 36K?
It does. 3 yrs/36k miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
yep common.

My paint chipped very easy. I easily had 15 rock chips in my hood, if not more.

The paint on the fuel door was basically gone, and along the door sills it was chipped off in places. The paint in the rear was also starting to crack

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Plastic parts seem to dull first.

Problematic areas are the fuel filler door, side mirrors, and fender gills/vents.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
c-man said:
Plastic parts seem to dull first.

Problematic areas are the fuel filler door, side mirrors, and fender gills/vents.
yup. i have weird scratch-like things on my mirrors, i replaced the fuel door and ring already with aftermarket... it was yellow as hell. my gills are not exactly fading, but theyre turning a bit yellow.. ill have to get some cf ones if they ever come back in stock..

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
I bought a stock silver cap and it seems to be holding up a lot better. Now to find something to replace the fading mirrors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, so this is a common thing then. And it looks as if most of you own a Tib that is only 3 yrs old, or newer. That just seems way too soon to have to worry about paint problems. I certainly don't feel like having to worry about taking the car back in to get touch-up jobs when it's not even paid off yet. If this is such a common issue, you would think that Hyundai would do something to correct the problem.....like use a better quality paint.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Add me to the list...

I have an '03 and my front bumper is peeling like crazy (huge chunks missing), side mirrors are fading and getting these little spots on them, and the ring around the gas cap is chipping (aftermarket fuel door). It looks horrible and I hate it that I'm gonna have to spend several hundred to get it in the condition it should be in.

Hyundai paint FTL!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm....as much as I love the Tib, the paint issue may sway me away from buying one. Maybe I'll get the Civic instead.

Flame suit is on. :2_mrgreen

·
Registered
392 Posts
Indeed. I have the paint issue as well... On the roof of my car & the gas gover mostly. On the roof, ive got these 1/2 inch spaces just fading... its weird.

But yeah -- Dreamer, if your gonna go Civic, get the SI. Heck, theyve even got a nice lil Aftermarket package for the SI to set it apart from the sea of other civics...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
thats weird....my family has 4 hyundais. our oldest, a 99 elantra with 100k still has nearly perfect paint. the 02 and 05 ares till great. my '06 tib is great, but still to early to tell

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
my 05 white tib has a yellowing gas cap and strange porous holes in the drivers side door and the trunk under a spoiler mount area. still waiting for a hyundai rep to come in...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AnthonyNTC3 said:
thats weird....my family has 4 hyundais. our oldest, a 99 elantra with 100k still has nearly perfect paint. the 02 and 05 ares till great. my '06 tib is great, but still to early to tell
Yeah, so is it only the Tib that has the paint issues? Or are there other models that have this problem as well? I'm real curious to know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts