Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so like the tittle says , i want to know what kind of spark plugs you people are running with what kind of mods and why

the reason im asking is because i just replace my champion plugs (ill check the exact type later) for a set of iridium NGKs
and to my surprise there was not only a better throttle repsonse but also about 8 MPG LOSS so i went from running about 30 MPG to 22
is this something normal or am i looking at bad plugs ?

at any rate i'll prolly go back to the champions , just wanted to know what you all run.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did you ever solve your wierd electrical problem?
I bought the same Motorworks 9mm wires and NGK Iridium IX plugs for my 2.0cvvt and haven´t had any problems. I get around 33mpg (30/70 city/highway in 20-40°F) when I used to get 30mpg with the old wires and copper plugs. I also had my old clutch recently replaced with a XTD spec3 and a 11lbs flywheel.
I recommend that you check the plugs and wires before buying new ones.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
There would have to be a very huge noticeable problem with your engine in order for a set of spark plugs to drastically change fuel consumption to the magnitude you are describing... I would really look for some other reasoning for the gas mileage suffering to that extreme.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I have Denso Iridium plugs in my V6. I noticed slight throttle and powerband improvement and slight increase in gas mileage. I wasn't blown away by the difference but I could tell.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did NOT really fix the problem ,one of the things i noticed thoug is that one of the old plugs was broken (the insulator craked in half) and that caused most of the stalling i guess
but after i replaced the old plugs (champion double platinum) with the denso iridium my mileage dropped like a brick :3_usehead
i replaced those iridiums with a brand new set of champion (again the double platinum) and i havent ran a full tank yet but i can allready tell that shes using less gas.

on top of this i've been having problems with my O2 sensors, i had to extend the harnass for the first one and put one of them cheaters in the second one to run my headers and no cat and i keep getting P0032 HO2S bank i sensor 1 heater circuit high and P0136 O2 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2, codes , im sure that might have something to do with this too :'(

i am so lost right now

·
Registered
69 Posts
i've got the denso iridiums too, don't know if they are good or not. the lifetime is much longer so in that way they are better. also the denso have the smallest tip or something which result in better spark, check website for the exact info. BUT i've heard that nothing can beat copper, only you have to change them at regular intervals. I've been searching but i couldn't find any copper aftermarket sparks...? :s

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
NGK IRIDIUM
I like em....I like em alot.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've had NGK V-powers on almost ever car I have had, and I've had no problems.

·
Registered
723 Posts
ngk iridium...you are not losing gas mileage due to plugs.

copper is a good conducter, cheap, definitely not the best. platinum plugs are fine, but wear quickly, iridium is the way to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^

actually copper is the best conductor choice used in sprak plugs

iridium plugs arent as good a condutor, but they last ALOT longer. thats really there only major benefit

·
Registered
547 Posts
Iridium IV's here too. No complaints

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
NGK Iridium IV FTW !

·
Registered
723 Posts
copper is def not the best conductor, gold is a better conductor, platinum, ect...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I was under the impression that
Platinum - last's longest - conduct's least
Iridium - last's long - conduct's well - also claim to have an advantage because iridium is soo hard they can make the center electrode much smaller and therefore better spark.
Copper - last's shortest - conduct's best
Is that not the case?

·
Registered
69 Posts
yup copper is the best conductor, heat conductor that is. gold and platinum will have the smallest resistance.(Ohm).

did you know that iridium is an alienated material. Earth has no iridium from it's own, it came to us with the impact of the meteors that have fallen over the eras. did i read this on this forum??

:)

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
yup copper is the best conductor, heat conductor that is. gold and platinum will have the smallest resistance.(Ohm).

did you know that iridium is an alienated material. Earth has no iridium from it's own, it came to us with the impact of the meteors that have fallen over the eras. did i read this on this forum??

:)
LOL, now if we only had the old sightings show music or X-files music playing in the background. Tha'd be great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts