Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Wheel Bearing Issue

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  peachferrari 
#1 ·
I have an 03 GT (no ABS) and my rear driver side wheel bearing went bad. I took it to my mechanic and he ordered 2 timken wheel hub and bearing assemblies (no ABS and ABS. the whole assembly was all thats in stock) and 1 off brand. The dealership wants 280 for the whole assembly and thats rediculous. The problem we had with all of them is that the wheel bearings measured 1 11/16th in. deep and mine is 1 13/16th in. deep. Does anyone know where I can find a wheel bearing that will actually fit, or even better the exact one? (i had just got done talking to autopartswarehouse.com and they don't have the correct one)

#4 ·
I agree..... I ordered my wheel bearings for my 04 Ranger off of ebay...... the entire assembly was $70 shipped for one. I've had them on for a month and I couldn't be happier, no annoying grinding/squeel noise anymore..... and I had a local shop put them on real quick (as I don't have a lift yet that is high enough for my truck). The D(St)ealership quoted me at $500 per wheel to replace my hub bearings in the front so $1000 for the set. Plus another $400 for a front brake rotor and pad change...... $1400! what a joke! I got on ebay, got some well recommended cross drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads, and a set of front OEM replacement wheel bearings for both of the fronts, and got it all installed, and the total was only $485!

Lets see, Ebay for rotors, pads, and 2 wheel hub bearings came out to $335 shipped. And install from a local mechanic shop cost $150. THAT IS ALMOST ONLY 1/4th the cost of the dealership.

#6 ·
Well only one of my fronts had a grinding when I decided to replace them both (the grinding wasn't horrible, but I just didn't want to deal with re-packing the bearing, so I replaced the entire assembly). My truck had 40K on it.... but being a truck it was through the mud and dirt and snow and salt and stuff.

#8 ·
I bought an inexpensive one for my passenger side rear wheel, and it made a constant noise a couple years after installation. I bought another genuine Hyundai hub from lowsonoma1999 and have been very happy with that one. I don't remember the price I paid but if I were you I'd check with him to get an idea how much you'd pay before ordering anything off ebay. Just my $.02.

Good luck!

#9 ·
I ordered two different ones for my wifes car and both were the wrong size and would not tighten up enough. I finally just ordered from the parts guy here in Indy. I plan on installing tomorrow. Hopefully they will fit. I had to give the vin to get the parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.