Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So i got my clutch and flywheel installed and the shop also replaced the front brake pads while they were at it. The issue I'm having now is that I get this squeel noise coming from my wheel, it sounds like the front driverside, not 100% on that side though. So would that be the wheel bearing possibly?
But the thing is, sometimes it'll stop and I won't hear it for awhile, but other times it'll make that squeeling noise for awhile then go on and off for a bit.

What could that be? wheel bearing? or maybe something related to the new brake pads?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
hmm wow. funny you should mention brake pads... i thought i had the smae problem a week ago, and i was like 1 step away from tearing it appart and replacing the bearing but i decided to go get a free inspection just to make 100% sure. and it turned out to be that i needed new pads cuz they were hittin the squealers.. lol

but what kind of pads are they? they could be just breaking in still.. and did you replace the rotors as well?

the guy who inspected mine said that it would be more of a humming then squealing if it was the bearing.

to test out the bearing, you could check out the play in the wheel by grabbing the top and bottom and rocking it back and forth and if there is any noticeable play, it could be the bearing (like a wobbling kinda thing)

hope that helpes a lil

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Does the noise stop when you apply the brakes? The same thing is happening to me I think and is ****ing annoying

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats the break in period for new pads? thats all that was replaced, not the rotors. i don't feel a wobble when driving at all, but i haven't had it on a jack and tested the movement with the wheels lifted off the ground. the sound definately sounds like more a squeeling than anything. I don't hear a hum at all.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
yeah my problem was it only happened at low MPH (10-25) only when i turned ever so slightly right and not when i was on the brakes..
it was the squealers on the pads..

does it hum? or squeal? and how fast is it normally when you notice it? and does it do it when on the brakes?

if your not really sure/comfortable diagnosing it yourself i went to minake and they checked it out for free. maybe a shop near ya'll could help

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
whats the break in period for new pads? thats all that was replaced, not the rotors. i don't feel a wobble when driving at all, but i haven't had it on a jack and tested the movement with the wheels lifted off the ground. the sound definately sounds like more a squeeling than anything. I don't hear a hum at all.

im not sure how long they take to break in, but i know your supposed to take it easy for a while.. no fast stops and def dont ride the brakes while theyre breaking in.

if theyre semi metallics (non posiquiets) they could make noises while breaking in.. the posiquiets could even do that too.. im not 100% sure.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ya i might have to do that. I don't notice it as much doing highway speeds, but that could also be due to the wind noise and what not. Seems almost more at lower speeds i can get it to do it. and what do you mean "it was the squeelers on the pads"? just haven't heard of that before :p maybe i could look into that.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
well if theyre brand new pads they arent the squealers. they put metal strips towards the end of the padlife so that you hear em and know its time for new pads.. for the love of anything holy i hope you didnt kill your pads that quick.. hahaha
probably just break in noise, but id check the wheel play to make sure.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just got them on and haven't been driving wild or anything. Just keeping my rpms under 3000 and soft braking. It's probably been about 300 kilometres with them on.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
hmm what kind are they? ceramics? semi metallics? posiquiets?
just wonderin. lol

the more info teh beter! lol

even if i cant answer your question someone else probably can! lol.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i always have problems with the dust shield touching the rotor anytime i take the wheel off it gets bumped and hits the rotor makes a nice squealing noise sometimes or just scraping noise.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a thermoquiet pad i believe; looking at the invoice at the moment :p

on the website it says: - OE match friction material – semi-metallic, organic, and ceramic (ceramic alternatives available for select semi-metallic applications)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but if it was the bearing, would it be making the sound all the time instead of just every now and then?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
really wierd. Yesterday i couldn't get it to make the noise whatsoever which I guess is a good thing. Driving to work this morning, i heard a slight squeel but it went away after a few seconds. Maybe its something really minor and i don't have to worry about it. I'll just keep driving until I hear otherwise I guess.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Im sure it was brake related. Probably just the new pads.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i always have problems with the dust shield touching the rotor anytime i take the wheel off it gets bumped and hits the rotor makes a nice squealing noise sometimes or just scraping noise.

^^What he said.

Just reach behind the wheel and bend the dust shield back with a flat head screw driver.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^ thats what it turned out to be. It looks like it was on both sides and was right up against it! Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts