Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i have an 03 tiburon gt 5 speed with 88k miles on it. I was making a u turn the other day and i heard a loud popping sound as if i was going over a pothole but there was no pothole in sight. I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose this problem, it would be much appreciated! Also, i know that i need new rotors and brake pads but i'm not sure if thats what is causing the problem

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
Any suspension mods? Is it still doing it, or was it a one-time occurrence?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello guys i have an 03 tiburon gt 5 speed with 88k miles on it. I was making a u turn the other day and i heard a loud popping sound as if i was going over a pothole but there was no pothole in sight. I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose this problem, it would be much appreciated! Also, i know that i need new rotors and brake pads but i'm not sure if thats what is causing the problem
Try doin a few more U-turns in a parking lot or somewhere you can move around. Might be a strut.

·
Premium Member
7,224 Posts
Could be a strut, strut mount, wheel bearing, really anything. You have to get under there and start prying on all the joints looking for play in anything. Also grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try moving it back and forth checking for a loose wheel bearing.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Because it is stated that it only happens when going around corners i have to say CV joint. but i need more info

Mods?

does it:
happen at low or high speeds?
happen when at full lock?

What is your brake situation?
new, old, going out...etc

steering wheel feel tight? loose? sloppy? when you make a turn does the wheel return to straight on its own or does it hold the position? (memory steer)
have you had your wheel bearings replaced or have they ever gone bad?

Do you have any wheel shake at high speeds?
do you have any "body" shake at high speeds?

·
Premium Member
7,224 Posts
If it was a CV it would most likely be a continuous clicking rather than a single pop when turning. The single pop leads me more toward a strut/wheel bearing issue.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
If it was a CV it would most likely be a continuous clicking rather than a single pop when turning. The single pop leads me more toward a strut/wheel bearing issue.
This is true but the word "pop" can be interpreted differently lol hence the reason for all my other q's if its only happening when turning it could be the cv joint begining to fail like just popping out then back in suddenly but your right its unlikely that it is CV related..

could be tie rods or ball joints, .

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Yup, Jack her up and move the tires around top to bottom and side to side and grab the way bar end links and see if they are still stiff.

if you do find play when moving the tire up and down dont assume it is the wheel bearing, investigate and double check it could be the ball joint..

Upper strut mount bearing could also be a cause but then you would most likely have memory steer

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I dont see it being a wheel bearing. 99% of the time a wheel bearing will be awfully loud and obnoxious at various speeds. A single pop would be out of character, unless this is the start of something that i explained.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe so too, when my wheel bearings on my SRT would go out it was more of a screeching sound like rubbing or so against not exactly popping

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Traditionaly when the front bearing goes it will wine like a WWII airplane but if left unchecked the howling will go away and be replaced by a large clunking and banging. this is because the inner race has seperated from the outer and the only thing holding on your knuckle is the axle nut

·
Registered
38 Posts
Traditionaly when the front bearing goes it will wine like a WWII airplane but if left unchecked the howling will go away and be replaced by a large clunking and banging. this is because the inner race has seperated from the outer and the only thing holding on your knuckle is the axle nut
but at this point you would have already noticed the wine at which point you be really irritated and would be something you couldn't just deal with on a daily basis, right? Because I know when my car would do it i couldn't stand it for longer than a few days. But I guess to a normal untrained ear they could mistake it for a brake rub, right?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone for your concern! And to answer most of your questions:
No suspension/brake/steering mods so far. The rotors do need to be replaced however, along with the brake pads. I do not think its the wheel bearing because its not making the screeching noise when i drive but the car does make a lot of squeaking noises whenever i turn the wheel all the way to full lock. I was thinking it may be a tie rod gone bad but i am going to get underneath it tomorrow and see if i can check for any loose/malfunctioned parts.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When examining the suspension parts, start with the sway bar endlinks as I believe this is the weakest part of the OEM front suspension system. Then work your way through the tie rod ends and ball joints. Replace with Moog parts as these replacement parts have grease fittings that can be lubricated when needed and are stronger than OEM parts.

·
Premium Member
7,224 Posts
I dont see it being a wheel bearing. 99% of the time a wheel bearing will be awfully loud and obnoxious at various speeds. A single pop would be out of character, unless this is the start of something that i explained.
The howling can often be overlooked by someone inexperienced with auto repair, especially someone who maybe listens to the radio loudly. They never notice until it starts making suddon sounds, like popping. So I never rule it out, I've seen it happen too many times.

·
Premium Member
7,224 Posts
When examining the suspension parts, start with the sway bar endlinks as I believe this is the weakest part of the OEM front suspension system. Then work your way through the tie rod ends and ball joints. Replace with Moog parts as these replacement parts have grease fittings that can be lubricated when needed and are stronger than OEM parts.
This is a good description of how to start looking for your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man I got the same car same tire similar issues. My right rear sticks out just at the bottom. Make a clung noise when ingo over bumps possibly a broken ball bearing.?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts