Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
i just took my tire off today and re put it back on thinking it wasn't lined up correctly or not tightened enough- nope.. not the issue.. I think its the tire itself causing the bump but idk.. I'm going to change the rotors and brakes and see if its my rotors causing the issue..... its not my hub bearing b/c that was replaced already.. idk.. I had this issue when i first got my car- and the issue was the hub bearing- which is why I replaced it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just started having this problem today. I went to a friends place and got a new tire put on my rim. the air compressor and tire machine were being difficult and either the tire isnt sitting flush on the rim or the wheel itself isnt sitting flush b/c don't you have too torque the lugnuts when you put your tire on?
idk but my tire being flat drove better than this- i cant go past 6-mph now w/o it shaking erraticaly and it almost feels like my wheel IS wobbling and about to fall off. scary kinda. We checked my tire for holes or a rim leak, but couldn't even find it. i have no idea why my tire kept going flat every 3 days if there were no holes or rim leak. the rim doesnt look bent or anything...

as for the rotors, idk b/c I have to change those but i dont think that was even the problem b/c it was driving perfectly fine with my other tire that was leaking. My alignment has been way off beforehand so I didn't think that was the cause either.
If your having issues at the lower speeds... maybe it can be the rack and pinion. If that is the case it will be an expensive repair job. I have seen similar issues with a loose caliper as well.

My 03' tiburon has also been doing this for awhile now when i go over 60 mph so when anyone finds a fix or what the issue definitely is, would really help if you let me know and i will do the same.
Thanks!
If it does this at the higher speeds, most likely your tires needs to be balanced.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am having the same shaking problem around 60. I went and had it looked at and the rim is bent. I moved the rim to the back and I can still feel the vibration just not as bad. I also had a slight pull to the right and when the tire was moved the pull stopped.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am having the same shaking problem around 60. I went and had it looked at and the rim is bent. I moved the rim to the back and I can still feel the vibration just not as bad. I also had a slight pull to the right and when the tire was moved the pull stopped.
Bent rims will cause that type of issues too. Generally I do not get bent rims fixed, because it never comes perfect... like when you get your cars fixed after an accident. All you did was move the issue to the back wheels. Yes its going to feel better... less vibrations but an issue non the less.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Check the lugs!!! I had a wheel break off my RD Tibby on the interstate. Fortunately I slowed down to about 25 when I heard the first one pop and then the wheel stayed with the car and was able to slow down but it's not a good experience :3_headsha

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are we talking about the steering wheel or your tyres shaking about?
I know when I had to get my wheels aligned my steering wheel would shake a bit and the car would pull to the left. Check which way it pulls.
AND like everyone is saying! Check the lugs. I didn't tighten mine up enough one time and I did get a bit of a shake.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you have all your wheel weights? Plus check your ball bearings..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just dont understand why.. i don't think the rim is bent because it was driving just fine with the old tire. the old tire just had a slow leak which I was tired of filling so I put this one on. My alignment is still a little off because I've been workin on gettin the parts for the rest of the suspension- in which case it pulls hard to the left- but thats what it was doing before anyways which I think is just an alignment problem. I can't wait to get my check so I can get another toyo tire- would that make any difference if the rest of my tires are all the same brand except one? The tire tread is similar to my Toyo's but the tire slightly bulges out a bit more from the rim than the toyo's

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My 03' tiburon has also been doing this for awhile now when i go over 60 mph so when anyone finds a fix or what the issue definitely is, would really help if you let me know and i will do the same.
Thanks!
I will for sure let you know. It is so annoying because other than that, and a couple cosmetic things. My 03 GT runs and drives(until 60mph) great.

·
Registered
731 Posts
How long will you be waiting to get the rest of the suspension done?
An alignment can't be too expensive over there could it?
I'm waiting for my financial aid check from school. should be getting it this week- give or take a few days, could be next week when I get it.
I went to go do my alignment and went to sears, and they refused to touch my alignment until I fixed my lower control arm bushings and my struts =[ It drives fine, just slightly pulls like an alignment until I put this new wheel on, it started riding all bumpy. Its $80 on average for an alignment over here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too have this wobble from 60-70mph, and then around 80 it subsides to an annoyng shimmy. But 60-70 its pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
731 Posts
do you by any chance hear screeching? or grinding? if so ..that may be your bearing...if you turn and it pops...its your bearing... my tib does the same.. but that scause i have a bad hub and bearing..i replaced the bearing twice and i cant get it to work fine..my hub is so messed its just messing up the bearings within two weeks...then back to square one..im in the process of finding my hubs..but with my luck...03's dont fit my 05 :| ! anyways those are my two cents.
I was having this problem when I first got my tib. I had replaced the hub bearing 3 times. After the 3rd time of not working I took it to hyundai and had them fix it. With an alignment and new tires it stopped. pita..

Well it seems like there are a ton of tiburon drivers out there with this problem. Maybe we should do a class action and get a recall.. shoot:3_headsha:3_usehead

·
Registered
333 Posts
New tires fixed the problem because they balance the tires.... they go out of wack all the time. Its cheap to get it balanced so please do that first before anything else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, but I took off my inner tie rods and they seem ok. And the whole rack doesnt seem to be leaking

·
Registered
333 Posts
I seen a similar issue on a RX8 before. RX8 uses an electric motor on the rack and pinion... and that motor was giving or slipping at higher speeds. It maybe a similar issue.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Check and recheck the tire balance. If the balance on the tires were not done right... its going to cause vibrations. When you installed the new tire they may not have installed the weights correctly. Or one of the weights could of fallen off. Before major work I will double check the tire balance.
9 out of 10 times this is why you get vibration is from poorly balanced wheels or they are bent. I also see weights come off all the time.

I got my tires balanced, alignment, Cvs and even tried other rims. Still there.
Try bringing your car to a different tire shop to check your wheels and re-balance. A lot of shops have teenagers that balance tires and sometimes they do a poor job. They may not have checked to see if your wheels are bent.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts