Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
One issue I am having fixed as I write this is a rattling noise D/T left front wheel moving 1/8 in. laterally. I noticed it on rough roads. Just got off phone with Hyundai tech -strut mounts shot, getting new OEM struts too. Another problem that was smaller than I thought was steering wheel vibrations -fixed with simple wheel balance, hope this helps.(03 Stock GT V6 5 sp.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
An alignment wont fix it. Dont even spend the money on it. I used to work for Firestone, and am a hunter certified alignment tech. Im willing to bet its your suspension or wheel balance. Whenever you go to get your wheels balanced, you should find a tire dealer that has a road force balance machine, that spins your wheel/tire combo at 60+ mph with a roller against one side of your wheel to simulate being on a road. Also tell them to dynamically balance your wheels and not static balance. A Dynamic road force balance puts weights behind the spokes wherever, then on the very end lip of the inside of your wheel. A static balance, which most worthless techs will do to save time, only puts ONE weight on the inner lip of your wheel. Worthless.

First check your suspension, front struts for leaks, seapage.
Sway bars for any ripping or rubber deterioration at the mounting points.
Then your wheels and tires / balance.

Id say 90% of the time its a balance issue, other 10% is suspension.

Mine right now is suspension, cuz i have the same issue. had tires redone. got worse. but i KNOW my left front strut is blown. and thats not keeping contact with the road, in fact its just bouncing all over because there is nothing holding my tire to the ground like a strut should do. So therfore horrid vibrations right around 65ish, but at 85, my normal cruising speed, smooth as butter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Check and recheck the tire balance. If the balance on the tires were not done right... its going to cause vibrations. When you installed the new tire they may not have installed the weights correctly. Or one of the weights could of fallen off. Before major work I will double check the tire balance.
this is what happen to mine, the dealership did the alingment on mine 3 times and it was still shaking at 65 mph and up untill i got new tires and had then balanced. that took care of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem when I hit about 65 I'm gonna have a full alignment done pretty soon I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine does the same thing at about 60-62 mph. The only catch is it doesn't always do it. Seems to do it more when it's warm and have been driving it for a while. any thoughts? 03 tib gt 43,000 miles

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I had some stuff done to mine. And the tie rods, ball joinst, etc are fine. They said instead of doing a balance or aling....have the tires remounted (and the will balance and aling when done). They said they have seen this in alot of 03-06 Tibby's and if that didn't fix it it was 99% a bent rotor.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was having this problem when I first got my tib. I had replaced the hub bearing 3 times. After the 3rd time of not working I took it to hyundai and had them fix it. With an alignment and new tires it stopped. pita..

Well it seems like there are a ton of tiburon drivers out there with this problem. Maybe we should do a class action and get a recall.. shoot:3_headsha:3_usehead
You know, it may work :3_shiny:...but then again stuff that should be EASY never seems to be:3_nooo:

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is the measurements of my alignment before and after a 4 wheel alignment. i was told that there is no camber adjustments for this vehicle-2006 Tiburon Se. is this true? i also am getting a wobble at 60mph. i have all new tires, control arms, ball joints, tie rods, struts, oh, and new frustration at why it still wobbles at 60mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I may replace the tie rods just incase, it is an 03. So they have had wear. Then redo the bearings and have an alignment done and see what happens.

The rims, not sure of. I need to take a look at that. And I feel it 99% in the steering wheel, if that helps any. It is a very odd thing I can say that. As a shop will lie anytime they can to get you to repair something (even if not needed) and my shop looked and said it was fine. Just do not want anything breaking at 60mph...:m_eyeup:
it has been my experience that if it is in the steering wheel, the problem is in front, and if the vibration is in the seat, the problem is in the rear. IMO. good luck.

·
Administrator
8,846 Posts
this is the measurements of my alignment before and after a 4 wheel alignment. i was told that there is no camber adjustments for this vehicle-2006 Tiburon Se. is this true? i also am getting a wobble at 60mph. i have all new tires, control arms, ball joints, tie rods, struts, oh, and new frustration at why it still wobbles at 60mph.
While I think your alignment could be better....it's not bad....

A "wobble" @ 60MPH may be brake drag.....I do a few mile highway run at speed, coast to a stop near the top. Park, check center of wheels for heat.
A dragging caliper can show up then....the offending caliper will show up as a warmer wheel center.
Camber adjustment.....usually one strut/hub bolt is an offset bolt.....some adjustment.....

41 - 52 of 52 Posts