Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone !
My current car (Ford Probe 97) is starting to spend more time in the shop than on the road so it's time to get a new one and the Tiburon seems to be a great replacement. In particular I am looking at the 4-cylinder automatic. Here in Southern California the dealers are offering them at MSRP minus the $1000 factory rebate, so that comes out to around $16800. After haggling the lowest offer I have received is $15900. Now I am wondering whether it would make more sense to wait for the 2007 model but can we expect a further price drop or is the $1000 factory all that's going to happen ? What was the situation like last year ? How long after introduction of a new model before dealers start discounting and of course: when is the 2007 going to be available ?

Finally: one dealer told me today that they can't find the color I am looking for (red or blue) in their California/Nevada database. What are my options to get a Tiburon from out of state ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Personally, i think the 07 looks like complete utter dog poo. Go for a 05-06. Or 03-04 and swap out the F/L stuff... and a I4 if you want boost later.

·
Registered
869 Posts
dude you can go anywhere to buy a car. go outside of those states...and yeah stay away from the 07. they look like crap

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, for being a brand new car, and IMO, having a sweet interior (the light blue gauge glow is cool,) everyone on here seems to be hating on them. I am not saying that I am in love with the 07, but maybe someone at HYundai decided they didn't want the Tiburon to look SO much like, well, a Tiburon.

Anywho, to answer the question, car dealerships are in the business of selling cars. My last car I got came from out of state, so do what I did. Call out of state, find another dealer who has what you want (in a nearby state) and then tell you local dealer: "Look, I would prefer to buy my car here from you guys. I have heard good things about you, your delaership is close to me, and I would get all of my service done here, but I would be willing to buy a plane ticket (out of state) to find the Tiburon I want at the price I want, especially if it means I can save some money."

I called out of state and got offered a price of $250 over invoice on my FIRST call. So when I told the above quote to my local dealer, that hey, I can buy a ticket, drive it home myself, and SAVE money over what you guys are quoting me, so either match the offer and see what you guys could do, or I will fly out to get this other one. I am ready to buy. Sure enough, the local dealership was willing to do a trade with the other dealership that had the car I wanted.

If they are unable or unwilling to do a trade with another dealer or get one from out of state (which this late in 06, might be true,) then simply use that to your advantage. IF they offer you one on the lot that is in another color, (say black or silver,) tell them, well I really wanted one in blue or red, so hopefully they will lower the price to make a sale with one they have on the lot.

You could take the advise or leave it, but do the work, stay hard on them, and do your work and research. Call around. Call the other local dealerships and tell them the best offer you have gotten (or the price you want to pay) and ask them to match it, or otherwise you are ready to buy, and they would have just lost a sale to X named dealership across town.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :3_chubby: :3_wink:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
yes . lie , that always makes everything bestester

·
Registered
78 Posts
ohyaa69 said:
And even if you don't haev a better price from another dealer just tell them that you did, even if its some ridiculous number. That way they start going crazy trying to match the better price another dealer gave you, and ultimately they'll give you an amazing price.
Don't lie. They can call another dealership just as easily as you did, and find out your BS. Besides, the point about taking you best offer and simply asking another local dealer to beat it or match it, otherwise they are about to lose a sale, is that if they outright say no, or 'we can't beat that', then you go back tothe one with the best offer. If you were to lie and make up some crazy number, (crazy because in reality, it is TOO good,) a dealership probably would say, 'well buy from them' and then you would SOL.

Just because dealerships and salesman lie doen't mean you should stoop to their level, you can still get a good price on a great car, by simply doing some work and research as I posted above in the big post.

To the guy buying, good luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
your in southern california. maybe fixer can help you out. i know hes not a salesman but last time my friend was interested in buying a tiburon he said he can get me a good deal.. so PM fixer or something.. but should get well under invoice for 06 right now... but PERSONALLY i would get 07..

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Dude get ANYTHING BUT 07!!!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Cross...welcome to the site. What part of So. Cal are you in? If your in the LA/OC area, swing by one of our meets and check out the cars. Might get you a better look at them. LIke Cobby said, I work for a dealer and can probably help you on on a deal, not sure what they can do for the color....but my guy will try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses, and sorry for bringing up the '07 model- I didn't know that it's such a hot button issue :3_vliegen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts