Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Need to change my plugs and wires, and I'd like to buy them somewhere in town so I don't have to wait for them to be shipped. Any good place I should go to buy this stuff?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you looking for something specific? How much are you looking to spend. Plugs you can get at Candian Tire. They carry almost everything. Wires you may need to order depending on what you want to get and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would suggest - Canadian Tire, UAP/NAPA, Best Buy Auto Parts, or Auto Source. I am sure you have at least one of those retailers in your city. Unless you are looking for performance parts, plugs and wires can be purchased at any auto parts source.

I do recommend, that if you have not purchased parts for vehicles before or installed them for that matter, that you get someone to give you a hand installing your parts and wires and possibly even ordering them. - No sarcasm intended.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll probably end up getting the regular plugs and wires unless there's some reason I should upgrade. I've changed plugs before on bikes and stuff, so I'm not too worried about doing it myself, my big concern is that I had a CEL light come on due to misfire on teh 3rd cylinder, but the CEL has been cleared, so when I change everything, how will I know if it is fixed or not, seeing as how I don't see the misfire right now anyway?

·
Registered
563 Posts
alexlacelle said:
Thanks guys, I'll probably end up getting the regular plugs and wires unless there's some reason I should upgrade. I've changed plugs before on bikes and stuff, so I'm not too worried about doing it myself, my big concern is that I had a CEL light come on due to misfire on teh 3rd cylinder, but the CEL has been cleared, so when I change everything, how will I know if it is fixed or not, seeing as how I don't see the misfire right now anyway?
get a compression checked before you do anything...then you'll know what's wrong. Parts Source had performance wires for like 70$

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlackTib4 said:
get a compression checked before you do anything...then you'll know what's wrong. Parts Source had performance wires for like 70$
I went to Parts Souce last night and the guy behind the desk told me he had no wires whatsoever for the tib???

·
Registered
563 Posts
alexlacelle said:
I went to Parts Souce last night and the guy behind the desk told me he had no wires whatsoever for the tib???
that's weird, they did last spring :3_saai:

but yeah, compression test first...parts later

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm...

Can you explain how a compression test will tell me if my plugs & wires are bad. Also, once I change them, how will I know the problem is solved, does the CEL ever come back on once cleared, what about if I disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
563 Posts
alexlacelle said:
Hmmm...

Can you explain how a compression test will tell me if my plugs & wires are bad. Also, once I change them, how will I know the problem is solved, does the CEL ever come back on once cleared, what about if I disconnect the battery?
there might not be anything wrong with your spark plug/wire. to me it would be alot safer and cheaper. You yourself are not sure if it's your spark plug/wires and you don't want to start spending useful money on useless parts...just go to a known mechanic or at least a reputable one and have it done...it only takes about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear what ur saying, but according to the code the car spit out, it's the plugs/wire?

If it wouldhave been bad comrpession, I would have gotten a different code?

·
Registered
563 Posts
if it's this code

P0304 Cylinder 4 – misfire detected Engine mechanical fault, wiring, ignitiion/fuel system, injector, ECT/MAF sensor, ECM

it doesn't exactly mean spark plug and wire

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm with Dom. Plug can get very expensive very quick. If the CEL didn't come back on it may have just been an anomily. Your CEL is part of your OBD II system that detects problems with the car. You can look it up on Google or howstuffworks.com if you want to know more. In short, the CEL won't turn off even if the problem is gone until the code is cleared. Once it's cleared, it won't come back on until another problem arises, even if it's the same as before. What kind of milage does yrou car have? It seems to me a little early to be changing ignition wires.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's got approx 50000 km's or so on it right now.

My CEL did not come back on cuz the dealership cleared it...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suppose it's about time for plugs but your wires should be fine.
Your CEL stays on until it's cleared. Once it's cleared, if the same thing happens again, it'll come back on. So it means you haven't had the misfire or whatever it was since.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
freshness said:
I suppose it's about time for plugs but your wires should be fine.
Your CEL stays on until it's cleared. Once it's cleared, if the same thing happens again, it'll come back on. So it means you haven't had the misfire or whatever it was since.
Thanks for the info. Light came back on today. I'm gonna spring for plugs since their not too expensive, and see what happens from there... Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
205 Posts
alexlacelle said:
Thanks for the info. Light came back on today. I'm gonna spring for plugs since their not too expensive, and see what happens from there... Thanks for all the info
Sounds like a good place to start. Just make sure you get the gap right or you could end up in more trouble then you started.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well changed the plugs, and everythign felt like it was running better, but today the light came back. I guess I'm springing for the wires tomorrow...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts