Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've been searching around and can't find where i can buy the gasket metal by the sheet.
i thought i saw a thread on this before but i can't find it anymore. i want the material similar to the one advertised in this link:

http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/p-5491-vibrant-1458-graphite-2-bolt-exhaust-gasket-3-id.aspx

(notice the little notches in the material)
i initially wanted copper, but its difficult to find let alone for the sizes i need.
instead i will get the the metal ones above and spray them on both sides with copper spray.
can someone help me locate where i can purchase this?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Why not just buy a gasket? It will be cheaper than buying sheet metal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i need to make sizes that can't be found.
most of whats out there is either too big or too small.
plus i don't like using what is available which is the ones with felt material.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have this problem too with my DC headers and custom exhaust... and I asked DC for some and they sent me some for free which was awesome, but i got into a fight with my bf and he threw all my stuff out which one of my gaskets were in there =/
i tried finding sheets but they only had the soft foamy stuff.. =/
if you have the sheet, you can just cut out a bunch too if you ever need to replace one for some reason.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
My DC Headers came with gaskets.

I'm pretty sure they're 1.8" btw.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Have you tried searching for grafoil? That's what I've always known it to be called. Here is a link to what it sounds like your looking for?
http://www.gasketing.net/grafoil.htm

BTW: those gaskets you linked to are available on amazon in many sizes for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies. i did get 2 gaskets from dc sports which came with my headers but its the felt/metal mixture and read many who have had problems with it leaking shortly afterwards.

as far as the grafoil, have you had any experience with it reko? i will look into this option some more.

the copper silicone is great when you never have to take apart the exhaust again. its a pain in the *** to remove that stuff after it hardens over many years. copper in itself is a good material to use except its not all copper.

i was actually thinking about using copper sheets instead or even considering this grafoil stuff. pure copper has the ability to conform and mold to surfaces even under high heat and creates a good seal.

either way, i still need to buy a sheet of something. i'm still looking where i can purchase it. right at the moment copper seems to be the winning choice so far. i will try to take pictures of the process as i get to it. please add more comments people if you can help. thanks in advance!

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Or why not just go to any exhaust shop and purchase the gaskets you need, they are very readily available
:3_bier:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Just go to Vato zone and pick up gasket material (It looks like cardboard, but it actually is a very strong paper like material, with metal in it) I got a big *** square of it for like 10 bucks a while back. Comes in handy! Just trace out what you want cut, then take some nice cutters to it, and you're good to go!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Oh yea, I totally forgot about that stuff! My dad has some lying around somewhere.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I could never find the gaskets because of the bolt pattern =[
I even took it up to USA muffler where my friend works and he had the same problem finding one. I ended up asking DC for them, but I'd rather just buy them cause I feel bad for losing one of them :'-(

I was using these other gaskets but they just kept melting and I had to keep replacing them every 3 months

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
i've been searching around and can't find where i can buy the gasket metal by the sheet.
i thought i saw a thread on this before but i can't find it anymore. i want the material similar to the one advertised in this link:

http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/p-5491-vibrant-1458-graphite-2-bolt-exhaust-gasket-3-id.aspx

(notice the little notches in the material)
i initially wanted copper, but its difficult to find let alone for the sizes i need.
instead i will get the the metal ones above and spray them on both sides with copper spray.
can someone help me locate where i can purchase this?
I have that exact gasket that I got extra by mistake. Car quest is where I got one just like that (they had the biggest selection of exhaust flange gaskets). Any part store should be able to get what you need. Most other places carry paper, and they work, but dont well when reused.

·
Registered
731 Posts
thanks for all the replies. i did get 2 gaskets from dc sports which came with my headers but its the felt/metal mixture and read many who have had problems with it leaking shortly afterwards.

as far as the grafoil, have you had any experience with it reko? i will look into this option some more.

the copper silicone is great when you never have to take apart the exhaust again. its a pain in the *** to remove that stuff after it hardens over many years. copper in itself is a good material to use except its not all copper.

i was actually thinking about using copper sheets instead or even considering this grafoil stuff. pure copper has the ability to conform and mold to surfaces even under high heat and creates a good seal.

either way, i still need to buy a sheet of something. i'm still looking where i can purchase it. right at the moment copper seems to be the winning choice so far. i will try to take pictures of the process as i get to it. please add more comments people if you can help. thanks in advance!
what is this copper you speak of?

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Just go to Vato zone and pick up gasket material (It looks like cardboard, but it actually is a very strong paper like material, with metal in it) I got a big *** square of it for like 10 bucks a while back. Comes in handy! Just trace out what you want cut, then take some nice cutters to it, and you're good to go!

This! I've been using the same sheet for the various odd jobs for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yes, it comes in a couple different forms. with or without a metal reinforcement inserted into the middle. either way it is usually a pain to cut out by hand, the material doesn't cut that nicely with scissors or tin snips. Usually gaskets made with this material are die-cut where the die looks like a glorified cookie cutter. This type of material is used often in small engine cylinder head and exhaust gaskets as well as other high temp applications such as egr valve gaskets etc.
This is another form, closer to what is used in those vibrant gaskets...
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/357796019/Non_Asbestos_Sheet_Inserted_Double_face.html

IMO- It'll be easier and less time consuming to find the gasket you need pre-cut and just buy a few, exactly what size are you looking for? One of these maybe?
Amazon.com: Vibrant 1462 3 Bolt Gasket 2.5"" Id": Automotive
Amazon.com: Vibrant 1458 2-Bolt High Temperature Exhaust Gasket: Automotive

·
Registered
731 Posts
all I remember is is being able to find a gasket with the right diameter hole, and ghetto wedging it between the flanges b/c I could never find a gasket with the right diameter, and the right bolt pattern. the bolt pattern never matched up- which it would be nice to find some right sized gaskets and buy a bunch already cut out...
van senus over here sells that gasket material, but I never tried using it b/c I've been told it doesn't hold up well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts