Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you put the same engine from the same year elentras and I believe the Santa fe had the same 2.7 l engine the tiburon does im not sure if it's from an automatic if it would work or not any Feedback here would be great mines been sitting for a year now and I really want her back on the road

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,453 Posts
The Beta II 2.0L out of an Elantra will not bolt up to a Delta 2.7L variant of the 6 speed transmission. The bellhousings are completely different and not compatible.

What specifically are you looking to do?

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
I do not believe an "AT" engine versus a "MT" engine makes a difference between models or years.
A AT flexplate will usually bolt to a flywheel engine (check bolt length) and the reverse. Cranks are normally universal.
A 2.0L versus a 2.7L may make a difference. Even within year.

· Registered
5 Posts
Can you put the same engine from the same year elentras and I believe the Santa fe had the same 2.7 l engine the tiburon does im not sure if it's from an automatic if it would work or not any Feedback here would be great mines been sitting for a year now and I really want her back on the road
I am looking for a replacement engine for my 04 tiburon GT.. I found a 01 santa fe with a v6 engine... how do I know if it will be a drop-in swap? any pointers are appreciated.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,453 Posts
Is it a 2.7L? Then it's a drop in swap.

Only things to watch out for is the starter ring offset on the flywheel, fuel rail type and which version O2 sensors it has. Cars manufactured before January 31st 2003 will differ from cars after that date. You may also need to swap bank1 fuel rails if there is a difference in fuel system type. Returnless vs return fuel systems.

Reactions: 03tibgts

· Registered
5 Posts
Is it a 2.7L? Then it's a drop in swap.

Only things to watch out for is the starter ring offset on the flywheel, fuel rail type and which version O2 sensors it has. Cars manufactured before January 31st 2003 will differ from cars after that date. You may also need to swap bank1 fuel rails if there is a difference in fuel system type. Returnless vs return fuel systems.
Okay I found a 2005 Santa Fe with the 2.7… would that be a good fit for my 2004 Tiburon gt. Built 9/9/03 I don’t know did the 05 Santa Fe has the mu engine or not. And on the internet I see that there might be variations. Thank you for any help I want to get my Tiburon back on the road and there are just more Santa Fe’s around. Again will a 2005 Santa Fe 2.7 engine work fine in the 2004 Tiburon GT ?

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,453 Posts
I don't believe the Mu2.7 came into play until about 2010-2011 so you should be safe with a 2005 motor in a 2004 tiburon. It will be obvious if it is the Mu2.7 because it will have a strange looking intake manifold like this one here. The Mu 2.7L long block isn't precisely the same as our Delta long block so it's not suitable for a swap necessarily. It could work... but your timing belt and water pump kit doubles in price due to the changes needed for variable cam timing. Also you have no way to control the variable cam timing with your Siemens ECU. It is not recommended to try and convert to a Mu 2.7L unless you have the tuning know how and a dedicated shop to do the conversion correctly with the Bosch ECU from the later cars.

Mu 2.7L upper intake
Wood Bicycle part Motor vehicle Font Auto part

It's possible that they used the Delta 2.7L "V2" variable intake in 2005 so if you see this intake manifold, the whole long block will be the same. Just make sure to swap over your upper and lower intake manifolds, fuel rails and throttle body to match:

Delta 2.7L V2 upper intake
Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Gas Font Bicycle part

· Registered
5 Posts
Wow that is all the I information I needed to make my decision. I will go check out the truck tomorrow, thank you so much for the info
I don't believe the Mu2.7 came into play until about 2010-2011 so you should be safe with a 2005 motor in a 2004 tiburon. It will be obvious if it is the Mu2.7 because it will have a strange looking intake manifold like this one here. The Mu 2.7L long block isn't precisely the same as our Delta long block so it's not suitable for a swap necessarily. It could work... but your timing belt and water pump kit doubles in price due to the changes needed for variable cam timing. Also you have no way to control the variable cam timing with your Siemens ECU. It is not recommended to try and convert to a Mu 2.7L unless you have the tuning know how and a dedicated shop to do the conversion correctly with the Bosch ECU from the later cars. Mu 2.7L upper intake View attachment 139305 It's possible that they used the Delta 2.7L "V2" variable intake in 2005 so if you see this intake manifold, the whole long block will be the same. Just make sure to swap over your upper and lower intake manifolds, fuel rails and throttle body to match: Delta 2.7L V2 upper intake View attachment 139306
thank you so much for this information, it is exactly what I needed to figure it out. I will be going to check out the truck tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts