Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Which will fit best

643 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Spitzer 
#1 ·
I know there is a "it does fit" thread, but my combination of sizes and offsets is not listed and nobody is replying to my question i posted there so I am trying here:

I can get a great deal on some buddy club 2 plus (17x7.5) at either +42 or +35 offsets. Bearing in mind that I dont plan on getting a widebody but I'd like to drop it 1.3/1.5 inches, I have a couple questions:

1) Which offset would look best? i think 42 since stock is 46 and i dont think 35 will fit without rubbing a LOT.

2) what tire should I put on it.... the only part that is confusing me about the tire is the width....should I get a 215/45R/17 or a 225/45R/17 or something totally different?

TIA for your help guys, i gotta buy these asap before they are sold

#3 ·
bcware said:
17x7.5 +35 on 225/45/17 is probably the max for sticking out. it'll be really good looking, but when you lower you MIGHT have to roll the rear fenders.

17x7.5 +35 on 215/45/17 will be fine, even with a 1.5" drop
GREAT! Thanks a lot!

PS: Can you quickly explain why BOTH tires will fit. I mean the rim is 7.5" wide, the tire is 225mm and that is 8.85" so wouldnt that be too wide for the rim? (i know thats sidewall to sidewall but still its huge)

#4 · (Edited)
215/45/17 tires fit 6 to 8 inch wide wheels
225/45/17 tires fit 6.5 to 8.5 inch wheels

stock 17's are 215/45/17 +46

it's generally the width of the tire that determines whether wheels will rub, not the rim. the tires tend to stick out the most unless you REALLY stretch them on. 215 and 225 are the width of the tire in mm. so, a 225 is only 10 mm wider. the 45 is a percent of the tire width that makes up the sidewall. in this case the difference is 0.2" sticking out more with the 225's. the inner lip of the wheel that comes in contact with the rim can stretch quite a bit and fit a good range of widths.

if you use this link from the fit thread 0.6" sticking out is a max you want to stay at. i have seen tire diameter increase by up to 17mm without problems. the december COTM runs big *** tires that are 17mm bigger in diameter than stock and he only has a 1.1" drop (plus stereo equipment weight) and his car looks low.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_sp...l&sw1=315&ar1=70&bd1=17&rd1=17&rw1=8.0&et1=10

#5 ·
Great! now i completely understand tire sizing. I already knew about the widths and aspect ratio.

I think im gunna stick with your original reccommendation of 17x7.5 +35 on 225/45/17. Keeping the overall diameter just slightly larger than stock (negligable really...) and keeping a little more rubber on the ground and a slightly wider sidewall is always nice cuz then it overhangs the rim edge just a tad.

Now i think im gunna get some nexen n7000's since everybody liked the n3000'sin another thread.

Thanks again!! :3_zoefzoe

#6 ·
i would consider playing with tires sizes if you can deal with the speedomete being off. i always drive 5-10 over the limit anyway so when i get my new wheels which are 11mm larger in diameter i'll just leave the speedo at the limit and be doing like 3mph higher than it reads. in my opinion having larger diameter wheels looks good on the tib. i think the stock size looks too small for the wheel wells. if you get a bigger tire (diameter) you can lower the car with eibach's at 1.1" and achive a nice filled fender look without destroying the stock suspension. if you did that the suspension should last a good while. of course it's your choice on what you like, beefier tire, or low profile type tire. good luck either way and ill try and help if you have any more questions. be sure to post some pics when the time comes.

#7 ·
Bringing this back from the dead with an update.

I got the wheels BCware recommended (17" +35 offset) and a set of 225/45/17's.
Now while turning if I hit any bump at all I get a rubbing and I dont think rolling the fenders will help.

Does anybody out there have this same setup +35 with 225 tires? How did you solve the rubbing.

Im really worried cuz I wanted to drop it about 1.1" with the Eibach kit and now thats looking like a no-go..

#9 ·
Yes but you have +38 (3mm further sunken into the wheel wells) and 40 series tire. I dont know if my issue lies in my offset or the total diameter of the tire. Thats why i was hoping someone had a similar setup and could offer some hints as to how to fix this...

I think i may as well roll the fenders and find out if that helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.