Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/09/news/baker.php

Yep... you heard it! US to leave and ask Iran to take care of it. Though no official information was released just yet, but you all know how things leak out. I know this article is a little old, but i noticed no one talking about it. Bush always ragging on the Dem's of "being the party of cut and run", may have to accept the fact that hes wrong... the ideas that have been floating around cyberspace and tv channels are that the administration is going to set a time table and do a steady withdrawal. After we have withdrawn, Syria or Iran would move in to reestablish order. In a weird twisted kind of way this makes sense, because they all hate us over there and the mullah's and the ayatollah can keep them under control. But, we would just be creating another "terrorist" state in the middle east (that is if you don't already count it as one). So we go back to the question... Was Iraq worth it? Kind of ironic that the stubborn bush may have to resolve to do what he furiously dug into the democrats for saying all along. If you ask me the man has a little too much pride. Something a leader should be able to control.

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
Yep, and all of his political views have been based on "the war" in some way shape or form. He definately has had entirely too much pride through his presidency

·
Registered
261 Posts
Interesting idea, but I don't see it happening because I doubt Bush would endorse publicly talking to Syria or Iran (even though we do in private).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the thing is... this was all "hinted" to the press by a reliable source inside the white house...

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I would honestly like to see another Middle Eastern country try to pull together all the splinter-religious groups into one unified country. Pardon me for laughing out loud.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Damn....What a way to end this mess, let's hand them over to Iran. After all the crap our administration has fed us all these years..

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow its funny, people complain that we are over there, and now they complain that we are leaving. Just shows how fickle the american public is and why we dont vote on everything as a group. I agreed with us going in and if we pull out i will be very disappointed. We will not only show yet again that we dont finish what we started, example being the Clinton and Bush Sr. administration not taking care of the problem when they had a chance, but we also show that resolve of the government waves with the resolve of the people. And as in the past the resolve of the people never holds.......never... Also we have to think of the poeple of Iraq, if the Iranian and Syrian government go in and take over they have gained little to no ground in political freedom. :3_saai:

·
Banned
312 Posts
Way to post an article thats nearly a month old. 2 days ago Bush said explicitly that he will not remove troops while he is still in office.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
jmpusmcr said:
it would seem that my previous statements about iraq taking control of the country are true... as it has been over a month since i stated that the pullout wouldn't occur until iraq's military was strong enough to control it's own country, and that would happen within 2 years....
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,224341,00.html

your iran idea... :m_piss-mo
True, Casey said recently that it will be 12-18 month.

As far as GTea's remarks on the 2 month thing... doesn't matter how old the news is. People wernt discussing it, and I thought it was an interesting topic. And it hasn't even been a month... Only 15 days. It was and I'm sure still is an option on the table for the Bush Administration. The republicans told the administration to lose the term "stay the course". Which can only tell you that something drastic will happen. Whether we withdraw and leave it to the wolves, or train the Iraqis to actually be competent. Either way, were leaving soon.

p.s. Its not my Iran Idea. I think it would be a mistake. It would do little more than promote Anti-Democratic ideals.

·
Registered
261 Posts
aintgonnahappn said:
wow its funny, people complain that we are over there, and now they complain that we are leaving. Just shows how fickle the american public is and why we dont vote on everything as a group. I agreed with us going in and if we pull out i will be very disappointed. We will not only show yet again that we dont finish what we started, example being the Clinton and Bush Sr. administration not taking care of the problem when they had a chance, but we also show that resolve of the government waves with the resolve of the people. And as in the past the resolve of the people never holds.......never... Also we have to think of the poeple of Iraq, if the Iranian and Syrian government go in and take over they have gained little to no ground in political freedom. :3_saai:
Bush Sr. didn't remove Hussein in 1991 because he predicted that it would lead to pretty much the same problems we are facing now -- long-term occupation tying up military resources, strong anti-war sentiment at home, loss of respect among allies and the international community, budget problems, and so on.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can see working with Syria, I think working with Iran is probably not in our long-term interests. I mean, this would turn them into a greater regional power, give them a strong ally in a Shi'ite led Iraq (Iran is largely Shi'ite as well), and would probably require concessions on their nuclear program. Not only that, but it would virtually eliminate our capability to use military force against Iran, though that wasn't very likely anyways. Now, it may lead to better relations with Iran, but it seems a heavy price to pay, and unless there's a fairly comprehensive plan to turn Iran into a regional partner of some sort, it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
AADA Driver said:
I can see working with Syria, I think working with Iran is probably not in our long-term interests. I mean, this would turn them into a greater regional power, give them a strong ally in a Shi'ite led Iraq (Iran is largely Shi'ite as well), and would probably require concessions on their nuclear program. Not only that, but it would virtually eliminate our capability to use military force against Iran, though that wasn't very likely anyways. Now, it may lead to better relations with Iran, but it seems a heavy price to pay, and unless there's a fairly comprehensive plan to turn Iran into a regional partner of some sort, it's probably not worth it.
Yeah but I don't think we ever will let Iran help out in Iraq. I'm pretty sure they have admitted to influencing what is happening in Iraq right now. And it is all in spite of the US. If the US were to use its military against Iran then we better do it soon... But if we were to use military power against Iran it would open up a whole new can of worms... I agree with you on Syria though.. I could see that happening. Maybe have the Saudi's help out as well.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jesterking said:
Yeah but I don't think we ever will let Iran help out in Iraq. I'm pretty sure they have admitted to influencing what is happening in Iraq right now. And it is all in spite of the US. If the US were to use its military against Iran then we better do it soon... But if we were to use military power against Iran it would open up a whole new can of worms... I agree with you on Syria though.. I could see that happening. Maybe have the Saudi's help out as well.
maybe I was wrong... Iran seems to be taking the lead in the effort... Kinda scary. they will just take over Iraq. http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/20/iraq.main/index.html first part.
Syria also is planning on renewing ties with Iraq. http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/21/iraq.syria.ap/index.html

Could it be that they see an oil economy that they can get their hands on?
wonder what the US will think of this effort... Will Iraq run back to the US and say help?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts