Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who has an OBD-II scantool on a 2002 GK3 ?

I've installed a home made CarPC in my 2002 GK3, and next i would like to use it to read codes and get informations about the car, using the OBD-II port, so i'm planning to buy a scantool.

But on my 2002, one of the pin (pin 5, ground) is missing on the OBD-II port. When i connect a scantool on it, nothing is happening, no power comes to it. I've tried to connect a ground wire on this pin 5, and it works, but there's still a problem : the scantool is powered, and windows detects it on a com port. Good ! But nothing else :3_confuse . Even with a perfect setup of com port and software (the same setup working perfectly on a 2005 GK3), i can't get any data or informations coming from the OBD-II. It can only give power to the scantool, nothing else. Maybe there's another pin that needs to be rewired ? Or is it a protocol problem ?

So i would like to know if one of you have already used a OBD-II scantool on a 2002 GK3, and what hardware / software setup he used to make it work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the same i want to know now :) there must be another guy who have tried this first?????!! :) please help us, the 2002 drivers :)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
There was a recall on the early 03 tibs for this, I got a letter for it within the first year I owned the car. Hyundai had to add a ground wire so aftermarket scan tools would work, I had this done on mine and now any scan tool works. You should just be able to take it to the dealer and get it taken care of free of charge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
this one? here

i´ve enough software at home but i don´t know which hardware i should buy.... already have tried the APOS Bluetooth Interface with an ELM 327 chip but it won´t work :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
so is it nessesary to rewire the obd port or not on a 2002 tib?? wich pin or pins? need to now that because of my winterproject....
Really want to use the ELM interface because its looks nice and is very smal and use bluetooth ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys, but please read the whole posts before answering.

As i said in the first post, even with the pin 5 rewired, it still doesn't work.

With ScanXL and ELM327, it doesn"t work either.

And a new cool feature on 2002 european tibs : NGM ECU reflash for tibs with immobilizer doesn't work ! The immobilizer is weird and the car will not start. That's definitly perfect.

Actually, i hate this ECU
I hate OBDII
I hate 2002
I hate Hyundai
I hate this car...

I'm considering buying a standalone to solve the problem.
Or selling this damn car.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
http://www.aetool.com/upload/What is EOBD and OBDII Scantool.pdf

in that document it tells you what pins u need to have in order for it to work. the pin 5 was only a ground, so that doesn't mean u still arent missing the K-line wire.

i have a U.S. spec 03 GK and my setup is a scantool.net elmscanISO and the free software and mine works fine.

but most importantly, what scantool do you have? it has to be able to read the ISO14230 protocol in order to communicate with the vehicle.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
i´ve used the one you see below, there is a ELM327 chip inside, tryed many programs like scanXL or Palmer Software and free programs.
also i don´t understand why it works with the hyundai tucson of my farher but not with my tib :/
so i just check all wires first and maybe ask my hyundaidealer to fix it.... is there a service bulletin? or how you call that if the want to fix problems and let it people know like the clutchproblem of the early tib´s.....or is it called recall?

so is it nessesary to rewire the obd port or not on a 2002 tib?? wich pin or pins? need to now that because of my winterproject....
Really want to use the ELM interface because its looks nice and is very smal and use bluetooth ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can rewire the pin 5, it will still doesn't work...

Actually i have no more hope of making the OBDII port to work, and am considering buying a hydra.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmmm are there any other guys with the same problem?? think its a general hyundai problem of the early tibs....... so anybody know something about a recall?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm are there any other guys with the same problem?? think its a general hyundai problem of the early tibs....... so anybody know something about a recall?
Never heard of it.

Actually some friends of the new tiburon french forum and i are about to send some letters to Hyundai France to explain our problem ; we are 5 french 2002 GK owners being concerned.

Hyundai dealers have never heard anything about it and are always telling us we have been messing something, and that the ECU is dead and must be changed (1500€....).

·
Registered
129 Posts
i don´t believe that!! i just know one other guy in my german forum who have the same problems......... i think i can find more and then you can put our names in the letter too....... i´v never done something on the obd port so they can´t say I´ve messed it! grrrrr

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i don´t believe that!! i just know one other guy in my german forum who have the same problems......... i think i can find more and then you can put our names in the letter too....... i´v never done something on the obd port so they can´t say I´ve messed it! grrrrr
That's a really good idea. I've started a topic on my french forum and we're actually 11 owners of 2002 GK V6, and we all have this problem : no possible access to the ECU with OBDII. We have agreed to all send a mail in a few days (bomb mail scheduled on sunday 7th february :D ) to Hyundai France to complain about this. I

There's no 2002 GK V6 who doesn't have this problem ! We don't know if it's related to the 2 bits ECu, or something else, but whatever, the missing pin 5 on the OBDII port is not the clue ! Even if it's wired again, we can't have access to the OBDII.

It would be a good thing if other european forums could contact hyundai in the same time to complain about this.

I will contact the english forum about this. I'm counting on you to contact german forums. We're already 11 guys sending a mail in France. If all european 2002 V6 tib owners mobilize at once, we can make hyundai do something !

EDIT : now we're 13.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ok i´ve found 8 other guyy near my town with the same problem, just let me know about your complain letter and i can give you all names and so on. cu

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i´ve found 8 other guyy near my town with the same problem, just let me know about your complain letter and i can give you all names and so on. cu
Wow, that's good !

I'm in contact since a few days with a local tuner. The guy is repairing ECUs and reflashing them. We have worked on my car together to try to make this OBDII to work. We have tested the connections, tried all of his scanners, wired some cables directly from the ECU harness to the OBD port... No way.

The 15 guys from the tuscani french forum have sent an email today to Hyundai France to explain the problem. The 8 of you could do the same with hyundai germany.

One of us had sent the email one week ago, and has received an answer from hyundai, telling him to go to the local dealership to solve the problem... We'll all have to go through this. But for those of us who have a heavily modified tuscani, it will be hard to explain what we haven't messed with the ECU... My ECU harness is full of splicers from the piggyback and wideband...

·
Registered
129 Posts
my guy also says that he had a 2006 car with the same problem! so it seems to be a bigger tib problem! so is there a headquater from hyundai europe? it makes no sens to write to each country i think it´s better to write together with all people so we are 25 people just from this forum and me, there are much more i think!

an other thing is to write a letter to a magazine or something because hyundai don´t want to see this in public! we have ADAC (club for germany) for example or "Auto Bild" that are big mags here in germany.... what you think?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Who has an OBD-II scantool on a 2002 GK3 ?

my guy also says that he had a 2006 car with the same problem! so it seems to be a bigger tib problem! so is there a headquater from hyundai europe? it makes no sens to write to each country i think it´s better to write together with all people so we are 25 people just from this forum and me, there are much more i think!

an other thing is to write a letter to a magazine or something because hyundai don´t want to see this in public! we have ADAC (club for germany) for example or "Auto Bild" that are big mags here in germany.... what you think?
If you have an adress for Hyundai Europe, please give it to me.

We have sent our emails to Hyundai France. The answers are all the same :
- There have never been any recall, even in USA, for an OBDII problem or pin missing in the OBD port....... (so we are liers...)
- We have to go to our dealers so he can have a look at it (and he will say the ECU is having a problem, like before...)

We're quite angry whith these poor stupid answer. So we'll send the story to the magazines. But first, i have asked my pals to do it the good way : they'll go to their dealer shop and have it verifyed. They'll take pictures, they'll ask for a proof on paper. like good boys. THEN we'll send all this stuff to the magazines.

IF SOME OF YOU HAVE A PROOF OF THIS RECALL, PLEASE POST IT HERE OR SEND IT TO ME !!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts