Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright people , i got an issue and i have no idea what it is.

first of , i never noticed anything untill the first snow hit last friday.
the car had been sitting in the snow all day and i fired it up when i got out of work , so this was i the afternoon.
first of the car ran fine ,fired right up ,no isues whatsoever.
about a half mile down the road it starts losing power ,sputtering and dies.
i get it to fire up again but it would only run for about a minute then loose power , sputter and die.
this went on for about 20 minutes then it went away and it ran fine again.

at first i thought it might have been the sparkplugs gotten wet or the fuelfilter frooze over.
but then on saterday i noticed this , it would still drop and sputter for a little bit but when it does my gauges die .sometimes all of them ,sometimes just the fuel and watertemp. when this happens no other systems seen to fail but the engine and the gauges.
i checked every fuse and they all seem to be fine.
the only thing i noticed is that the CAI is rubbing up against some wiring wich appears to go to the coils.

modes are 9 mm wires , cai ,headers and testpipe.

anybody have any ideas what in the world this might be ?

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
I'm assuming no CEL's or you would have mentioned it.

But get your ECU scanned, there may be some "pending" codes in there that might lend a hand.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason i neglected to mention the CEL is because i've been having issues getting that darn thing to go away ever since i installed the headers.
i tried the defoulers and that never worked , i installed an electric one and that didnt help .
it should be whatever number that says bank one sensor two no activity (think its PO420 ?)
i'll have it read out again on monday

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
diymirage said:
the reason i neglected to mention the CEL is because i've been having issues getting that darn thing to go away ever since i installed the headers.
i tried the defoulers and that never worked , i installed an electric one and that didnt help .
it should be whatever number that says bank one sensor two no activity (think its PO420 ?)
i'll have it read out again on monday
There might be some more codes in there. There's really no way to know. If you CEL has been on this whole time there may be your 1 code as usual... or there may be 10.

Aside from that, check under your dash and see if there's any moisture. Maybe something's shorting out under there from condensation that melts as your car warms up.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds likely but i doubt it would condensate within a half a mile , i know the engine didnt get up to temp untill darn near when it started running alright .

i will check though , think i will also swap my CAI for a short ram for the winter

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
humm...i had this happen to me but my problem was i left the gas cap opened...i guess a security thing....it won't do it until u stop

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got gas since it first started so im pretty sure that is not it.
i've been keeping an eye on it and it seems that most of the times when the gauges go the fuel gauge tops out but then sometimes it bottoms out so i dont know what the hack it is :'(

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so another thing i noticed , when the fuelgauge is at about 1/4 full and the gauges go out it sometimes comes back on saying the tank is HALF full.
it doesnt seem to drop at all when it does this (think i put a good 25 miles on it) then when the gauges die again it will go back to what it was at before minus what i burned

what in the world is going on ???

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Maybe its your fuel pump.

Every once in a while when I take off- my car boggs down almost untill it stalls- and then it runs fine, except the fuel gauge is dropped untill about ten minutes goes by. Then the gauge will slowly go back up to normal. I've been told that my fuel pump might be going.

It also tripped a cel that I had to get shut off. It was the same code that is tripped when you leave your cas cap off or not tightened.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i was driving it in the rain today and it would not run UNDER 4000 RPM
what in the world is wrong ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts