Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was gonna get a spare OEM throttle body to get ported.
However, the only new ones I can find are not cruise control compatible (as these are coming from Korea a market where apparently cruise wasn't offered).

My Tiburon does have cruise control, however, I have since unplugged and removed the assembly. Can I run a non-cruise TB? Or are there other differences?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
543 Posts
They are compatible on the 2.7L.

Porting your TB won't make much for gains. The limit on the 2.7L TB is about 58-59mm. That's only 2-3mm over the stock size of 56mm. I know that maxbore.com sets their limit at 58mm because of problems going larger. It's like a 50/50 chance the casting was poorly done and had thinner walls. The porting services that go go bigger than 58mm either cast their own throttle bodies from a fresh casting or added material to the IAC port like in the case of the tigerlilly throttle bodies.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, just wanted to verify before getting a new one.

I understand the porting yields minimal gains, but while I sort through the issues of my NGM 70mm I'll settle for a ported stock for now. Throttle response with the stock unit just feels very bottlenecked right before 3000rpm which wasn't the case with the NGM setup.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
543 Posts
Ahhh I see. That NGM probably needs new seals and bearings if you're having trouble with idle. Did you buy that 70mm from John D by chance?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh I see. That NGM probably needs new seals and bearings if you're having trouble with idle. Did you buy that 70mm from John D by chance?
Negatory. From someone else. I believe it was an issue with the casting of the unit itself specifically where the TPS snaps into. Caused a sticky throttle eachtime the foot was applied to the pedal and caused the car to idle at 1500rpm when in neutral and rolling to a stop. Haven't messed with it much sense then.

Hoping that a ported tb will mitigate the bottlenecking so that the rest of the NGM setup can breathe more efficiently. Just wanted a verify before I snagged a new OEM tb from Albert Hwang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts