Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked Pinktuscani and unfortunately Arkansas doesn't have emissions testing, so she can't tell me if her RIPP would pass emissions testing.

Does anyone have RIPP installed in a state requiring an emissions test?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Generally speaking the only thing needed to pass emissions is a catalytic converter.
However some states actually do a visual check for modifications like headers, chargers, etc.
If yours does the visual then that'd be the only thing to worry about,,,,,and even then,,,,one mechanic to another a little $20 passed along couldn't hurt in order to "pass"

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
as far as i know, they dont look at the engine bay here in houston, well atleast the one i go to, if u go to a fancy place, then yea, but go to a run down shop and ur good

·
Registered
890 Posts
The new research by Dzignr Tastz indicates that under closed loop conditions with the draw thru system the tune is very stable and should be well within spec for emissions, so it should pass in every state as far as emissions go if it's tuned right.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Generally speaking the only thing needed to pass emissions is a catalytic converter.
However some states actually do a visual check for modifications like headers, chargers, etc.
If yours does the visual then that'd be the only thing to worry about,,,,,and even then,,,,one mechanic to another a little $20 passed along couldn't hurt in order to "pass"

thats not tru.. as long as they dont look and u dont have a Check Engine Light.. u should be fine.

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here in houston they plug the emissions tester into the OBD-II connector and I think they put a probe in the tail pipe, but that's it. They never popped the hood on my car when i did my last emissions check 2 months ago.

I just wasn't sure about the RIPP throwing CEL's or the like

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
each state is different.. I think in TX they look over the motor, not sure exactly what they look for but I could find out...I'm so could you if you serach state inspection.

out here in Cali, it wont pass just due to not being CARB approved. If you could run the car on the OEM settings, it *might* and *probably* pass. Just turn the boost down....

·
Registered
606 Posts
david if its that big of a deal then come out here! ill even show you the place by my house!! i had open headers and turn downs on my truck with a built big block 350 and it passed so its not like it shouldnt.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My car passed MA state testing which included plugging in to OBDII. I don't think I had an emissions test though. Not sure. A Hyundai Dealership passed me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here in Illinois they test ur OBD-II(As long as ur car is new enough...but why even post that... the tibs are lol, sorry im kinda intoxicated). I haven't tested my tib yet but I dont think there is any reason for them not to pass me. I just did my truck less then a month ago so I know how it works here. I don't have any engine codes with my ricirculating SDS. If there were an engine codes then its pretty much sign that the engine isent running right or in peramiters of emitions. So.... do u have any codes? what are the precedures of ur state? Here is only a plug into the OBD-II if u have a newer car.

·
Registered
938 Posts
In Md. If you go to get it done, they put you on a set of rollers, plug you into the OBD II and run thru a few gears...sorta like a dyno. Then they pass you. As long as nothing comes up thru the obd your fine. If you are too low (or in some cases to tall) to fit on the rollers, they hook you up to the obd II and start the car, see what comes up, check exhaust levels and your gone. Md isnt that bad (not bad compared to cali def.)

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Moved it to F/I (being an SDS question)...

As many have said - different states, different rules. Here in NC, they hook up to the OBD-II port and check for a catalytic converter (which I have on both the HotShot and RIPP prototype headers). So depending on your state regulations, as long as you have no CELs, all the on-board diagnostic tests have completed, and you're not running a straight pipe... you should be fine (as I've passed NC emissions with 2 different SDS-equipped Tibs so far, and they even popped the hood on both accounts... not to mention I gave them full details on them being prototype kits - LOL).

And as far as a sniffer goes, as long as the short-term fuel trims are in proper order (a.k.a. a decent tune), then there should be no issues with a sniffer in the tailpipe... for if the O2 sensors are seeing things as normal per factory specs, everything should be fine. I also personally passed emissions on both cars before converting to draw-thru (if that tells you anything), so there's no doubt in my mind that with the difference in the overall stability of blow-thru and draw-thru, draw-thru should be 100% good to go.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
In Texas, they only sniff if it is OBDI or if you have a monitor out on the exhaust. For the most part, as long as you don't have a CEL on, you should be fine. Most shops around me don't even bother with opening the hood. Just plug it in, turn it on, and replace the sticker. My last inspection was without the headers, so I will have more insite in a couple of months. But, I have friends with cars that shouldn't technically be on the street, but they have them tuned to go up for inspection, and also replace the test pipe with one that has a cat and they never get hit. Now, if you go in without a cat, and they look, it is big time fine and I think they impound the car or make you tow it, not real sure!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
we need to get 1 thing straight right now before you all go off galivanting about emissions...

California, New York City Area (thats the city... not the whole damn state) and a few other state/cities have a more strict emissions... upstate NY has a more simple/ less thorough emissions. California and NYC tests are due to smog and people/SQ mile... this is based on fed. law not DMV regulations which is state driven.

this is all information I have recovered from a emissions book I recieved from my brother who is certified... do the search if you dont believe me

·
Registered
87 Posts
Passed NJ inspection here with a SDS setup with no problems (other than the stupid underbody light kit law changes)

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Yeah... just go to some little town on the outskirts. Every time I've brought any car to get an inspection at any shop not once have they popped the hood, connected a scanner, or "sniffed" it. The state of TX does not require emissions testing... the city of Houston does, apparently.

EDIT: And I thought you had an Alpine. lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.