Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i am new around so if this is not the first time someone has brought this subject up i apoligize. i live in missouri and our current tint regulations prohibit front side windows from being any darker than 35%; pretty stupid i think...so i had been thinking for quite sometime about how convenient it would be if you could change the degree of tint on your windows at the touch of a button, or blacken them out completely when your car is parked in the sun, maybe with the use of a small electric current, something similar to an LCD. the technical science of this is way beyond me but the idea is simple. well, i would like to thank Research Frontiers Incorporated for their recent developement, SPD-Smart light control technology (Suspended Particle Devices). basically a tinting film that can be darkened or lightened using an electric current. a few high-end cars can currently be purchased with this as an option on the sunroof. so ya, it works, and i want to get ahold of some of this SPD film. but to the best of my knowledge it is not openly available to the public and is only being test marketed in various applications. so please, if anyone has more information on this miracle film or any similar material, POST UP!...

- sorry for the length of this post, i am just very interested in the noted subject

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I would have to see it, but if it is anything like I think your trying to describe then that would be sweet yet very expensive

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Freakin missouri, I agree I hate the 35%, but I'm still tinting it lower then that.

Would mirror/platnum tint at 35% be legal, being that it is 35%, just mirrored on the outside.

·
Registered
356 Posts
At night my 15% has this self changing effect. with the dome lights on you can look inside, as it dims slowly, the film turns darker and finally is just black. it's a one way deal though. LOL.

changing tint degrees on the switch would be great, but just sounds like it would expensive it ever available to the public.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think I've actually seen this somewhere, but it was with windows on a house. I actually thought about nice it would be to put on a car but it kinda seems like too big of a hassle.

·
Registered
867 Posts
At night my 15% has this self changing effect. with the dome lights on you can look inside, as it dims slowly, the film turns darker and finally is just black. it's a one way deal though. LOL.

changing tint degrees on the switch would be great, but just sounds like it would expensive it ever available to the public.
:3_headsha

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ive heard of that stuff.. ive watched somethin before where they used it for the bathroom doors... so if you didnt flip the switch everyone could see you... it changed the glass from clear to frosted.. its the same type of principle though.. it sounds like a good idea but itd be hard to wire everything up correctly...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i've always wished for something like that, sounds badass

sounds very expensive too

·
Registered
122 Posts
It sounds like the same thing that the Maybach sunroof does.
At any rate, that would be a real expensive mod.
as for state laws on tint.s I would check to see if it's sendary offense, which in most cases it is & how much it is, ours is $35. Then go with 20% all around. Just my $.02

·
Registered
181 Posts
ive heard of that stuff.. ive watched somethin before where they used it for the bathroom doors... so if you didnt flip the switch everyone could see you... it changed the glass from clear to frosted.. its the same type of principle though.. it sounds like a good idea but itd be hard to wire everything up correctly...
Actually, they have this glass at the bathrooms in this club in hollywood..i forget the name of the club though. Also, i saw them install this into a trunk on Pimp my Ride... they called it Security Glass or somethin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, from what i have read they have already begun use in housing applications, airplanes, privacy windows for businesses, and like Shark said there is a very similar technology on maybach sunroofs...i was just curious to see if anyone had come across more information than i have found. no doubt it would be very expensive to have installed, if it is even available to individuals (which i don't believe it is at this point). but there are definitely hopes for the near future...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mercedes came up with a prototype a few years back,
they used polarized glass that could go from clear to 100% opaque with an infinite grades of tint in between.
My guess is that the technology still cost too much to implement it in a production vehicle.
or it poses some issue with law enforcement agency and road safety. like it was stated earlier you could turn the tint very dark and when you get stopped you can make it clear
This would make more than one frustrated police officer:3_smilies

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
at least you are allowed tint on your front windows in Missouri now...when I lived there you couldn't have any tint at all on the front door windows...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Even if this was available, it would be way cheaper just to get whatever percentage tint you wanted, and if you get pulled over and have to get an inspection, just get it put back on after the inspection. My buddy used to do that. Plus, tint shops might give you a discount for coming back again.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i think this will be made available in a few years for the public, and i don't think it will be too expensive either. the product demand will be very high so they could sell it at a reasonable price because everyone will buy it. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn't complain about a 35% legal limit. In RI the legal limit is 70% (no tint). Can't do front side windows or anything. Sucks big time but im thinking about just going with 35 anyway.

This would def be a cool idea and i was just thinking about this a few weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts