Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know noone wants to hear about this so early but i like to plan ahead...

What do u guys normally do to prep your car for winter if anything?

Im trying to get my things together for october.

(This only applies to those of you who have freezing temps in winter)

I know the 5w-30 oil is one thing.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
well if u have to drive it get sum good snow tires if it snows alot and sum thicker oil and if u have a cf hood take it off other then that nothing

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I keep my summer directional tires on all year round. we get a few feet of snow. I never have a problem plowing through the snow. Add about 50-100 lbs of weight in the trunk and I'm good to go. The only thing I like about the tib is the fact that it's a beast in the snow... Mainly because it is so under powered that it doesn't spin out as much as my other cars that I have owned.

So basically, I don't do anything to prep for winter. You don't need to.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
well if u have to drive it get sum good snow tires if it snows alot and sum thicker oil and if u have a cf hood take it off other then that nothing
Why? No need if you know how to drive. I seriously have directional tiers and I have never had an issue... and I get about the same amount of snow as you ;)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would throw a nice coat of wax on the paint!

BTW...I think the Tib is the worst car I've had in the snow. It gets through it but it rides so damn low and my tires spin every time I go from a stop. Probably just need better tires..who knows.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Dont forget to change ur windshield washer fluid to fluid rated for negative temps...or ull get a busted pump and tank...never fun to drive a car with a frosted salt covered window!

def get the tires if u live in the mountains with a lot of change in elevation..hills are a *****

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I agree with the lower temp washer fluid--helps a lot in below-freezing temps. I've used the stock Michelin all-season tires for 4 winters now--no problems to speak of.

+1 to the nice coat of wax too. I usually try to do it before we start getting lots of snow.

Other than that, make sure your maintenance is up (coolant etc especially) and you should be good to go.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
Why? No need if you know how to drive. I seriously have directional tiers and I have never had an issue... and I get about the same amount of snow as you ;)
well i live on big hills so i need them last year i had directional tires and barley made it up them with like 4 inches of snow

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
snow tires if you have the 17''s. 16''s can probably get away with all seasons b/c theyre narrower.

here is my winter prep this year...

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I keep my summer directional tires on all year round. we get a few feet of snow. I never have a problem plowing through the snow. Add about 50-100 lbs of weight in the trunk and I'm good to go. .
snow tires would make it a lot better, you obviously dont really do that much driving in the snow. i had to go to work regardless of the weather so snow tires were a must. i wouldnt get out of my parking space on summer tires. also, directional tread does not a summer tire make. serious summer tires are useless in the snow regardless of power. you probably have an I4 with the 16''s amirite? V6 torque needs more traction. also, why the hell would you put weight in the trunk of a FWD car? you should strap it to your hood... LOL.

well i live on big hills so i need them last year i had directional tires and barley made it up them with like 4 inches of snow
yup... the hills around here are killer. i aint getting up my driveway without snow tires. even with the tires it can be a struggle especially being lowered. most of my issues came from literally having to plow with the front bumper..

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Besides fluids and tires...... Pull your CF off if you can. Up here in -20 -40 -50 my clear cracked on my grille.

·
Registered
230 Posts
winter tires are always good to have for traction, change the hood for sure and change out the fluids. be sure to keep the other set of tires to switch back to. i know around here some places wont give you the tires back yet they charge you a $15 disposal fee, so just be aware of that

·
Registered
134 Posts
not that this has anything 2 do with anything but winter depresses me, because my black car gets filthyy and it makes me want to clean ittt but i cantt cuz it will freezeee.

and my winter prep is gona be - making my little brother clean out the garage so i have somewhere to park, besides the drive way.. as well as parking illegally on campus in the parking deck for teachers as opposed to the parking lot where my car gets plowed in. not fun.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts