Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a rockford fosgate fnq1614. Its a few years old, but it works and I got it from a buddy, so whatever.

Now, I figure I can run the stock speakers and the component set (2 speakers, 2 tweeters) off of the stock amp. I figure it will underpower everything, but thats ok for now, I can change it all to a new amp, or add an amp later I guess. I also have an aftermarket kenwood HU.

So basically, what do I have to do to do this? Just splice into the exisiting wires that are running the stock tweeters and speakers? Is there anything that would cause this not to work or to possibly damage anything? The component set is 4ohm and 100watts.

Now my buddy also gave me 2 MBQuart crossovers aside from the rockfords that came with it. On the rockfords it has only one input and two outputs, tweeter and mid. The MB's have 2 inputs for high and low, then two outputs for tweeter and woofer. Not quite sure what I'm looking at when it comes to crossovers.

I want to mount the component set in the rear of the car somewhere.

Also, I have two old orion xtr 10s and a an amp. For that, I figure what, all i have to do is run power and then the RCA cables from my HU and it should all work. Seems simple enough.

I'm an audio noob, but can figure most things out with some help. And this is something I want to start learning more about.

edit: oh and wire gauge and even types/makes would be great.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I would say go ahead and get another amp because I initially wired my components to the stock amp
and it really sucked,,,,seemed worse than stock speakers. My amp is a little one only 50w per speaker,,,,so go with something 75-100w that'll have you sounding good.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Go with 4 gauge or bigger wire size, and go with a brand you like, I would pick Stinger or Streetwires. Make sure to get a multi amp install kit since it sounds like you are going to be running two amps, or get a single amp kit and a distirbution block for the power and ground for later on when you get the second amp. Also, make sure it has RCA's (also called interconnects) or if it doesn't make sure to get a set of them as well.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome... thanks guys... do you guys happen to know the rms that the stock speakers can handle? If I get a 4 channel amp running anywhere between 70 and 80 RMS that will power my components fine, just don't know if it will overload the stock speakers. I would think not, just wondering. I figure what the hell, the stocks are in there, my components can't be mounted in the door without modification, so I'll just use em all.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
awesome... thanks guys... do you guys happen to know the rms that the stock speakers can handle? If I get a 4 channel amp running anywhere between 70 and 80 RMS that will power my components fine, just don't know if it will overload the stock speakers. I would think not, just wondering. I figure what the hell, the stocks are in there, my components can't be mounted in the door without modification, so I'll just use em all.
I'm not sure the exact specs of the stock speakers,,,but they didn't sound good when I put in my Alpine head unit (50x4) they were very "stretched" for power,,,,you might blow them if you put amp power to 'em

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I think they can handle like 30 or 40 watts, but could be wrong. At 75 watts, I bet they would blow, but you can just turn the gain down to keep them from getting the full 75 watts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts