Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back I had a timing belt snap and had to have the engine rebuilt and a new timing belt. After it was all done I went to get it re registered and it wont pass emissions now. Do you guys have any ideas on why it wouldn't? Could it be something with the ecm?

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Do you have codes or are readiness indicators not set?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sorry. I have been busy with everything going on in my life sorry. Its the o2 sensors that are not getting ready. We dont have any fault codes. And I am not sure what readyness indicators are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got told by the dealership that everytime the car is turned off the ecu forgets everything. Could I need a new ecu

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Hey sorry. I have been busy with everything going on in my life sorry. Its the o2 sensors that are not getting ready. We dont have any fault codes. And I am not sure what readyness indicators are.
With a lot of OBDII scanners, you can look at active codes as well as pending codes. Another selection is readiness indicators.
Most emissions will fail you for active codes and/or readiness indicators not set. Some states allow 1 active code or 1 missing readiness indicator.

Doubt you need a new ECU, more likely is a cleared fuse that is not keeping power to the ECU memory. Is there anything else electrical that doesn't work?
If it's a cleared fuse, quite a few indicators will show as not ready/Inc (incomplete).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure as the car has been sitting now for a while now. I got it from my brother as he has gotten a new car so I have taken to figuring out what is wrong. To give more detail. Its a 2004 tiburon gt v6 manual. I thought it was a 2003 but is not. It could be a fuse. I am picking up the car from him tomorrow so I will look thru all the fuses and see if any have popped. What indicators would show with a blown fuse so I can look for them while I drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So a while back I had a timing belt snap and had to have the engine rebuilt and a new timing belt. After it was all done I went to get it re registered and it wont pass emissions now. Do you guys have any ideas on why it wouldn't? Could it be something with the ecm?
When you had the work done they unhooked battery which cleared the ecu of its codes and etc. You need to run the car several trips so it shows the computer you car is good to go.

·
Registered
235 Posts
@NoobAsoures follow these instructions and you will be done in 1 hour:
  • Raise the car jack stands
  • let the car cool off completely (overnight is preferable)
  • get in the car, TURN OFF the AC, fan, lights, ... etc
  • start your car in Neutral and never touch the Break paddle
  • DO NOT TOUCH anything (break/gas/clutch, AC, ...etc)
  • keep the car idling for 15 minutes
  • after the 15 minutes, put the car into 5th or 6th gear and accelerate to 55 MPH
  • use the Cruise Control to keep it at 55 for 10 minutes (use can do it manually if CC isn't working)
  • once done, let off the gas, put the gear into Neutral, and let it slow to 0 by itself
  • keep the car idling for another 15 minutes
  • check your OBD2 report, all should be green now :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
or drive it for a week including highway driving.

·
Registered
235 Posts
or drive it for a week including highway driving.
when my car was due last year, I drove it for about 2 months on the highway everyday, and it didn't "ready" the Cat/O2 tests.
I don't recall where I read it here, but that was the only driving cycle the worked for me.
Worth trying since it only takes an hour to finish the whole thing IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@NoobAsoures follow these instructions and you will be done in 1 hour:
  • Raise the car jack stands
  • let the car cool off completely (overnight is preferable)
  • get in the car, TURN OFF the AC, fan, lights, ... etc
  • start your car in Neutral and never touch the Break paddle
  • DO NOT TOUCH anything (break/gas/clutch, AC, ...etc)
  • keep the car idling for 15 minutes
  • after the 15 minutes, put the car into 5th or 6th gear and accelerate to 55 MPH
  • use the Cruise Control to keep it at 55 for 10 minutes (use can do it manually if CC isn't working)
  • once done, let off the gas, put the gear into Neutral, and let it slow to 0 by itself
  • keep the car idling for another 15 minutes
  • check your OBD2 report, all should be green now :D
Ok. I just tried this and it did not come up green for the cat Eva and o2s. It could be I did it wrong but I will have to try it again over the next couple days and see id it will ready itself

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did all of that but my cruise did not work so I did my best to keep it at the 55 it did move a little thru the 10 minutes and when I let off the gas I pushed the clutch in and then shifted it could that have messed it up? I did let it go down to 0 by itself

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re did the drive again and got it to just Eva and o2s not ready. Probably do it again and hopefully those will get ready

·
Registered
235 Posts
my car is up for inspection next month, and the battery is dead from not driving it for couple of month due to the whole COVID-19 thing.
I will have to go through this again soon, will see if that still works for me or not.
But I did that last year, and the year before, and passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hmm. I will have to keep at. Its my brothers old car and the last time he did anything with it was over a year ago. So I am just going thru the motions. Since the timing belt snapped over 3 years ago it has not been able to get the o2 sensors ready or Evap. So I will keep doing the drive cycle and hopefully it will check those two off. I found new o2 sensors if needed from rock auto(oe ones the ntk). I can get all 4 for 188 or 210 after shipping to my location. If it comes down to it I will be replacing them. Yes the o2 senors are the oem ntk ones. If those dont work I will be leaning to getting a new maf if it comes down to it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my car is up for inspection next month, and the battery is dead from not driving it for couple of month due to the whole COVID-19 thing.
I will have to go through this again soon, will see if that still works for me or not.
But I did that last year, and the year before, and passed with flying colors.
You will have to let me know if it works again for you. Well my o2 sensor still isn't ready. The battery was under warranty so I replaced that since it kept dying over night and got a fresh tank of gas. Hopefully if I drive it a little and do some cycles it will get ready.

·
Registered
235 Posts
it is funny how similar out situations are 😂
my battery needs replacement under warranty too.
I will do that next week, then attempt to pass inspection after that.
P.S. my car was sitting for ~3 years when I bought it from my neighbor couple of years ago too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could a short ram intake make the o2s or Evap to not ready? I am not 100% sure if the car is tuned for it but I will ask to make sure. I have been driving it more that I have my temp tag and still o2 and evap not ready. When I have time I will look that the evap and make sure nothing is clogged with the canister and I have 3 of the 4 o2 senors coming in the mail this week. so I should get them on this weekend. 2 upstream and then the front downstream. Its a pain doing all pf this but hopefully once that is all on it will pass.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts