Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you guys have the same problem, but after I drive my car when I touch the door or the door handles I always get static shocked. Its pretty annoying and I want to get rid of it.

I'm thinking that either the alternator is overproducing electrical energy, or the car is not properly grounded. I have an underdrive pulley that I haven't installed yet, and I'm thinking of buying a grounding kit. Will both of these solve my shocking problem while giving me more HP?

Thanks

Rig

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Yeah my POS did that to me too. WTF is with the quality of this car. I kicked it a few time after that happened and then realize what a dumbsh!t I am...

....LMAO

·
Registered
558 Posts
well since you're in los angeles, i'm guessing you're feeling the wind blowing.. i'm experiencing the same thing and i'm in riverside... since the wind if blowing hard now days, it's causing static.. it'll go away haha

·
Registered
224 Posts
well the grounding kit didnt fix mine and as for the underdrive pulley i doubt it. my thunderbird did it to me too and it was leather interior. i just avoid touching anything metal when i get out of my car

·
Registered
355 Posts
man this is rediculous... I've never herd of such thing. Im sorry for ya, ur BSing when ur saying it weather right?

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
I had the same problem.....never figured out why.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm in CA also and it's a problem specific to the CA Tibs only. I just got the recall notice in the mail the other day so you should be getting one soon too.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Mine used to do that too, and so did my 99 Sonata when I had it. With the Sonata it ended up being the battery terminal being pretty loose. With the Tib I'm not sure why it happens, but I think it has to do with humidity (or actually the lack of it). In the winter it's usually a lot worse than other seasons. My girlfriend is currently getting shocked by everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Every time she touches me, a door knob, a car, or pretty much any other solid object she gets a static shock. In fact two days ago she got shocked by the pizza slice she was picking up to eat. Even food is attacking her, and it's driving her crazy. Then again, she does have long hair...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
because when u drive ur car it creates friction in the air and given the type u have (humid or dry) it can cause static energy to build up on the car and then when u get out and touch it u get shocked... Kinda like dragging your socks across carpet and then touching the door handle. The carpet is the air, the socks is the car and you are the door nob.... This is why some say u should get out and touch ur car before starting to gas up or else u might cause the spark after fueling as began causing a fire

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Skorch said:
Mine used to do that too, and so did my 99 Sonata when I had it. With the Sonata it ended up being the battery terminal being pretty loose. With the Tib I'm not sure why it happens, but I think it has to do with humidity (or actually the lack of it). In the winter it's usually a lot worse than other seasons. My girlfriend is currently getting shocked by everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Every time she touches me, a door knob, a car, or pretty much any other solid object she gets a static shock. In fact two days ago she got shocked by the pizza slice she was picking up to eat. Even food is attacking her, and it's driving her crazy. Then again, she does have long hair...
:m_lol: LOL

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
lol sucks for you guys!!!

I'm shocked that this happens!
It seems to be a static problem!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had the same problem with my (anal) Probe.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Voodoo Idol said:
I had the same problem with my (anal) Probe.

OOUCH! That's not EVEN funny!

Yep, it happens to me in my Tib also....but it also happend with the last few cars with leather I've owned. And whoever said it happens more in the winter is correct. The dry air + static built up from rubbing against leather = painful shock.

To my knowledge, there is no sure fire way to cure this...but I'm all ears if there is!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
SuperSaiyan said:
OOUCH! That's not EVEN funny!
I hated that car so much. Every other month there was a major repair on the car. If I hadn't been trying to resolve some credit issues at the time I would have never kept it. Due to all the wrenching I was forced to do on that pig for 4 years (not including the 2 blown head gaskets and the blown tranny), I seriously wanted to get a vanity tag that said "ANAL" so it would have really been the Anal Probe. The only thing that kept stopping me was that it just sounded too ****.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
It's not a problem with the car it's the dry weather. It has nothing to do with the alternator or a grounding kit. Grounding kits just ground the car to the battery. What you need to do is ground the car to the actual ground. Static electricity is building up from the dry weather and is getting grouded through you when you touch it. What you could do it get one of those straps that attach to the metal under the car and hangs down to touch the ground. This will ground the car to the actual ground and prevent the shock.

The pain from the shock comes from the electricity jumping from the car to you. What I used to do is hold a key close to the car. This causes the shock to jump from the car to the key, not to my hand.

More info:
http://www.autotrader.com/research/...ticle_id=2762&refpage=safetyinfo&restype=used

·
Registered
465 Posts
In my case it had nothing to do with dry weather. I got it in the middle of summer in humid @ss Washington DC.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts