Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is now the 5th clutch I have had on my car.

2 Stahdard hyundai ones and now 3 aftermarket

Basically its a Clutchmaster stage 4 with flywheel.

Before anyone moans I did a search and found out a bit of info.

Ive done about 5k miles on it. Its now started to slip. Only usually when accelerating in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and at around 3 to 4k rmp when in all gears.

It doesent matter if I accelerate hard or just normally. Still slips

Ive done the slave cylinder mod.

What could be causing this?

What about adjusting the clutch pedal free play?

Could it be a hydrolic fluid leak.

Could the clutch lining be contaminated?

Help is whats needed.

Thanks

DoZZa

·
Registered
972 Posts
do u know how to drive?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RedTuscani2k3 said:
do u know how to drive?

I can certainly drive son.

Never had an automatic.

All my cars have been manuals, sorry stick as you call it.

I have had BMW M3's that have had twice the power of this hyundai can ever dream of having, and no problems with them on STANDARD clutches.

Ive had an Alfa Romeo Sprint Cloverleaf with a stage 3 clutch, that had 220bhp and never had problems with that.

So yes mate, I know how to drive, do you?

·
Registered
972 Posts
no i dont know how to drive manual LOL!.. i was just askin.

·
Registered
547 Posts
RedTuscani2k3 said:
do u know how to drive?
Ya dude hes from the UK. They arent lazy like Americans with their automatics and what not.

maybe you have some allignment issue, Ill bet that your clutches arent wearing evenly, or you got a bunch of defective ones.

BTW, I hate our clutches and the pedal play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My clutch went to 180 000 km (115 000 mi), and in the end it was the throw out bearing that failed. I it curious how some clutches seem to last, while other fail continuously.

Could the problem be with the hydrolic setup on these cars in conjunction with the pull type throw out bearing? If for some reason the clutch is not fully released, it could be continuously slipping?

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Damn, man I feel/sympathize/empathize with you. I'm on clutch #5 now too. Actually, #5 is toast now (Clutchmaster Stage 3...hub springs fell out), and #6 is on it's way soon....

I haven't been able to find any reason why they seem to continuously fail. We have different engines, but similar issues. I thought alignment between the trans/engine could be a concern, but everything was measured straight and true. The wear is equal on the friction surfaces, and there is no fluid to really speak of in the relative vicinity to contaminate the linings...that would be a pretty large failure for clutch fluid to find it's way in there....Clutch pedal free play was checked..all was good. I bled the clutch cyl as well, and flushed it as well.

I've come to 2 conclusions: That I'll just have to keep putting in clutches until I find one that stays unbroken...and also, that it is a POS pull-type clutch-equipped drivetrain which would be more useful being melted down into solar-powered toasters.

-BRR

·
Registered
397 Posts
That really sucks to hear about how notoriously bad these Tiburon clutches can be. I must say I am glad I bought the automatic, even though it's more of a leech than the manual and cost a grand more.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I don't know what clutchmasters representitives the UK has, but I know if I had these kind of issues, I would be unloading the debris (clutch assy) on their doorstep. Typically most manufacturers will go out of their way to solve these kind of problems considering the information shared on these and other forums, bad advertising you know! By the way, what kind of mileage do you get on a set of tires? If you burn through a set of fronts every 2 thousand miles or so, that might explain your clutch life!LOL

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
I don't know how you burnt out a stage 4 clutchmasters after 5k miles. I just blew out my stage 4 after 10K miles. I was raceing mine though at the track with 11psi and a 125 shot of nitrous making roughly 420wtq. Now I am still driving the car, I just can't accelerate hard. Next Generation Motorsports is making me a custom twin disc clutch that will be a push type and support 600wtq. You might want to talk to TC at NGM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have a tiburon 03 with just CAI and slave cylinder mod clutch went out at 65000 and now its slipping at 73000 dealorship put in a new clutch for 100 bucks cuz i had it with them for 2 weeks so im thinkin i should just get an aftermarket one isntead of another stock one? cuz i know dealorship wont put another one in for 100 bucks...

oh and before anyone asks...ya i know how to drive...

·
Registered
200 Posts
all this crap is making me wanna get rid of this car :./ I am about to do a clutch but if its gonna screw around on me in like 10k then why go through the trouble.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am now in the process of removing the tranny to have a look, but the weather is not on ym side at the moment, its very cold, wet and windy here in the Uk at the moment.

I was looking at the clutch pedal free play, this seems to be fine.

I also checked the position of the clutch pedal when engaged, according to the shop manual it says something 166mm clearance, mine is around 146mm, could this cause clutch slipage?

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts